Enough with the Millenial Hate

For some reason, hating millenials seems to be a bizarrely popular past time with literally every other generation taking their shots at us, and even some of us at ourselves. I don’t know if this is just the extreme version of “if I put down someone else, I’ll feel better about myself” or if people really believe that it’s a great hobby, but it’s a little tired at this point. I know that 98% of people who read this will immediately think “this stupid spoiled millenial” or “she’s just out of touch”, but this is really getting redundant- the horse is dead, move on!

Enough with theMillenial Hate

“I was born before 1986, so I’m better than the other millenials”

Cool, you’re older than me. Not sure if you want a high five because your parents had you before me, or some sort of trophy to celebrate the fact that you are apparently better than the rest of us, but neither are coming from me. Continuously sharing the same three articles on Facebook about how being born in 1986 or earlier means that you had to learn the internet makes me think that you are just incredibly self-involved- I was born in 1989 and I had to learn how to actually use the internet, too. (I was that person who took about three years to figure out what Google actually was. Not my proudest moment…) I don’t think that fact makes me better or worse than anyone else, it just makes me a person. What do you think the end goal of this claim is? That someone will hire you because you are inherently superior to those younger? Or that someone younger than you will respect you more because you meet this arbitrary divide? Stop throwing the rest of us under the bus- we didn’t choose to be lumped in with you either, and we aren’t continually telling the world that you are old and ineffective…

wpid-london6.jpeg

Someone Had to Raise Us…

My parents were awesome. Well, are awesome- it didn’t just shut off. They taught us how to be responsible and respectful and to deal with what the world handed us. We weren’t special- no one is- and you have to learn to cope with that. But overall, a lot of parents who raised our generation did their kids’ homework, went in and fought every battle for them, and taught us that the world should bend to us. We didn’t just end up this way on our own, someone taught us to be this way. But somehow, all of the hate and vitriol ends up being aimed at millenials and none of it so much as wafts to the generation who raised us. If you are going to raise a kid, it’s not just about feelings and making them feel good- the world has real consequences, and part of your job as a parent is to make your children aware and ready for those. The feel-good train conductors can only do so much…

Winnipeg Beach Fall Walk.jpg

I Might Not Fit In But…

I don’t always feel like I fit in with the millenial generation. I just don’t get SnapChat (either how to use it or what the actual point is), I like reading texts from about 800 years ago, and I think people are far too trendy nowadays. However, I still appreciate everything that they have to offer and while I might not get why they love taking pictures with cat whiskers on their face, I think it’s awesome that they are thinking outside of the box. The world is snowballing and evolving far faster than any of us could hope to keep up with, and the millenial generation is working to find ecologically and economically viable solutions to benefit the largest group of people possible. I personally remind myself multiple times throughout the day that my problems are not for the world to solve but I completely understand that the world has some pretty freaking huge problems that affect all of us and we all have to play a part in fixing them. I don’t decry the people in my generation that I don’t relate to because that happens in every generation. I’m proud of what we have accomplished and will accomplish as a generation!

junior-circle-take-pride-winnipeg.png.png

Some Things We Aren’t Responsible For…

So, while apparently the horror of avocado on toast falls squarely on the millenial shoulders (WHY ARE PEOPLE EATING AVOCADOS? THEY ARE JUST GROSS.), the large majority of the world’s problems are landing at our feet although we didn’t actually cause them. Global warming, super bugs, rampant corruption in government- none of these are all fault, but we are the lucky ones to inherit them. Woohoooooooooo. Before you crap all over millenials owning cacti and “weird flowers” (overheard at a garden centre), think about what those plants are doing for the environment. Your dumb fake flowers aren’t doing anything to help the ozone layer…. Materialism and waste are high on our agenda, and many millenials look to recycle, reuse, and repurpose rather than buying something entirely new to create more waste. And while there are a ton of racist and discriminatory folks of any age, I’d like to think that we are pretty aware as a generation to respect and appreciation for different cultures.

banff

To end this rant, I’d like to say, I work hard every day at my regular office job, I should have my student loans paid off in close to seven years instead of ten (hopefully even earlier), and I do what I can to contribute to the communities where I am. I don’t claim to know everything or have the “right” opinions, but I try to understand those around me and be as empathetic as I can to their problems and issues. The world won’t get to be a better place by constant criticism and no willingness to make changes yourself- if you expect other people to change, you better be ready, too. I apologise to anyone who found this entirely negative; it’s gets to be depressing when all you see in every form of news is a barrage of hate and anger towards your generation and you are doing all that you can to make any difference at all.

What is the number one issue you think we need to tackle?

18 thoughts on “Enough with the Millenial Hate

1. Hannah October 11, 2017 / 4:40 am

Amen to all of this!! So true! I always feel judged by the older generation and I hate it.

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 7:49 am

I just want to ask – I work a full time job, am paying off my loans, pay taxes, am mostly a dork reading at home, what would you like me to do?!?!

• Hannah October 11, 2017 / 7:55 am

I know! 😦 I think they think we’re just layabouts who sponge money off everyone. Actually, I’m trying flipping hard right now to get a job and I’m bored, I’m not doing nothing for the hell of it right now, nor am I in £50,000+ student debt right now for the hell of it XD
        I’ll stop ranting now

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 9:12 pm

Whaaaaat?? I thought we all just took out student loans for the pure joy of paying them back! (But for reals, I think it’s a sign of adulthood when your excitement is seeing the interest decrease…) It was pretty freaking impossible to get a job when I graduated with my Masters, and it only now feels like if I moved, I would be able to check off the “experienced” box after four years. We are paying our dues, so to speak, but the dues keep increasing!!!

2. ButterflyinRemission October 11, 2017 / 9:16 am

Hey … just want to chip in here and say that you’re not the only generation who’s felt like this…same happened to my generation. So I’m coming to the conclusion that it’s part of the circle of life, though not a pleasant one. Don’t feel like all the older generation are judging you…I know some awesome young people, in life you will always be judged by negative people who are miserable in their own lives, it’s one of the things I hate…I still get judged & I’m 42! You are doing great and as long as you’re living a good life & being kind sod them! 😁

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 9:10 pm

I think the thing that gets me is that it’s not only other generations, it’s half of this one! Still, they are going to judge me no matter what, so I’m going to try and live the best life that I can. People will find something wrong with everything you do, so you can only make the best decision with the information you have at the time. I’ve given up explaining myself to people, particularly people who only know a little of me- if you want to hate me because of my age, go nuts. I’ll be here with my plants and cookies trying to spread the positivity 🙂

3. Susie October 11, 2017 / 9:41 am

Haha I am 100% with you on this! The only thing I can think is, we’re such an awesome generation, all the other generations have to pick on us because they’re jealous 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 9:06 pm

We are pretty awesome, if I do say so myself 😀 I’m going to collect weird cacti to spite them AND improve the ozone- take THAT, haters!!

4. Amber October 11, 2017 / 12:22 pm

I hate avocados and don’t understand SnapChat also! Also a 1989 baby. I honestly thought until a couple years ago that millennials were 90s babies and since I missed the cut-off by two months I was safe from all the hate. Haha, nope, my bad.

Seriously though I don’t understand why people feel the need to blame ANYTHING on ANYBODY. I think we need to start looking at the issues and trying to find a solution, rather than say, “not it!”. I work full-time (overtime…) in an office, have my student loans paid off, have minimal debt otherwise (yay car payments!) and try to keep an open mind… why can’t THEY. 😥

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 9:05 pm

Nope, sadly, we are also the target of their hate. I don’t go around screaming at Boomers and Gen Xers, and every other living person for problems that we created as a whole planet, but somehow everyone else feels like it’s totally cool to throw us under the bus. I’ve got a pretty boring adult life, so I don’t see myself having this flexible, free, and open millenial lifestyle that apparently we all have. Maybe I need to try to be LESS responsible haha!

5. tahenryauthoress October 11, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Um, not to be off topic, but where were you in that mountain-water shot, it was gorgeous!?
    On topic, every generation has their haters. I’m not actually sure what “generation” I am but others tell me I’m a gen-xer and then they list why gen-xers ruined the world. shrug.
    Living well is the best revenge. LOL (you define what living well means for yourself)

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 9:02 pm

Thank you!! It’s the Bow River, in Banff- it always looks amazing, but especially early in the morning with sunrise!
      I get millenial yelled at me on a regular basis, so it sunk in eventually lol. No matter what people say, I’m going to keep trying my best and giving back to the world in whatever way I can! This may be a super negative rant but I truly believe that positivity goes a long way in this world, and I plan on spreading that 🙂

6. josypheen October 11, 2017 / 2:16 pm

I don’t see this kind of bitching in real life. I think it is mostly just folks that write clickbait-like articles because they know some older folks will agree with them, and other will get mad, so share the shitty article just because they want to say how wrong it is.

Millennials have it tough. They have higher fees to pay at uni, it’s basically impossible for them to buy a house (without help) and they often have to go through unpaid internships before they can work. It’s all pretty rubbish. They deserve some avocado on toast. p.s. I’ll eat all your shares of avocado on toast. I blooming LOVE it.

The thing is, I have visited a LOT of schools at my previous job, and I am so, so impressed with the kids that are just getting ready to go to uni now. Lots of them are sooo driven! They want to study things that will find them sensible careers. I hope it’ll work out for them all. I mean robots will take over most of our jobs soon…so after that what will humans be able to do?

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 9:00 pm

I try my hardest to be a productive ranter, but that isn’t as easy as it looks sometimes- still, I do have to say I’ve proudly avoided click bait thus far hahaha. (Sending all of my avocado opportunities out west to you!!)

I’m truly not anything special, in fact, I’m pretty average. However, I’d like to think that I am pretty sensible- I pay all of my bills and loans, I volunteer as much as I can, I mentor, and I try to leave everything in a better place than I found it! We are trying the best we can, and although there are always the misguided folks, I wish people would just give us a chance! Also, the robots ARE coming, and the only thing I have going for me is my sarcasm. The robots just don’t get sarcasm, but will it be needed?? (Hopefully someone somewhere will need my humour…)

• josypheen October 11, 2017 / 9:45 pm

Lol we’ll definitely need sarcasm and humour!
        I’m sort of hoping it’ll end up more like star trek, with people working because they want to, studying because it’s interesting, and having longer holidays… I mean as long as we don’t ruin the planet too much before we can get to that point.

7. Des October 11, 2017 / 3:27 pm

I’m a boomer that was raised by “The Silent Generation”. My generation was also hated, some of it deserved. We didn’t start The Cold War, nuclear threats or pollution either. We were ridiculed by our parents and grandparents, and later on, by our kids. It seems to me there’s a natural tendency to think that other age groups are responsible for all that’s wrong in the world, but that changes when the next generation after that comes along to shoulder the burden. Hang tough!

• anhistorianabouttown October 11, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I think that we’ve all contributed to different problems in society, and my generation certainly needs to examine how we are going to try and fix the problems that we are still contributing now. However, it feels like we are being held accountable the second we stepped into the “real world” without having any role in it. Still, I think that no matter what, it’s everyone’s responsibility to make the world better than how we found it, and I’m going to focus on doing what I can!! You are the change, right?? Thank you for stopping by 🙂

8. Trula Marie October 12, 2017 / 10:11 pm

I read this the other day but didn’t have the opportunity to comment.
    THANK YOU FOR THIS!
    To be honest, there are so many issues to tackle with the Millenial hate and inexperience. A lot of it has to do with the job market and the unrealistic expectations for us to have post-college! I mean come on, it’s not the 1950s/1960s anymore. You can’t work a minimum wage job and pay for college with it. And you can’t get job experience every field while attending classes because most jobs require you to be there when your classes are going on!
    In general, the Millenial hate just needs to disappear. It’s not our fault for the way the world is currently. And it’s most definitely not our fault that some stores are closing (Looking at you, Sears!).