Graduate Work Abroad, Travel Thursday

After chatting with Katie, I’ve been thinking about my Masters! I did my MA in Irish History at University College Dublin, and had the good fortune to live in Dublin for a full year. I travelled a lot, made some new friends, and was able to train with the historian in my field. Today’s post is all about things I think that you could consider before going abroad for graduate work and the things that I learned while living in Dublin!

Graduate Work Abroad,Travel Thursday

Studying early Irish history past the undergraduate level in Canada is pretty hard to do, so I knew I would have to leave to go on in academics! A lot of people would suggest study abroad programs to me, but that wasn’t possible in my program- they aren’t overly common in Canada, and my classes are full year, meaning that it would have pushed back my degree a whole year. Enter: my Masters!

Dublin Castle Lawn

Things to Consider

Before you undertake graduate work at home or abroad, I would recommend asking yourself a few questions and being honest with yourself.
Will this further my career? Will this degree actually help or hurt my job search? When I came onto the job market, 98% of employers refused to even consider me for entry level positions because they thought I was overqualified, going to leave for PhD, or both.
Does this work for me financially? I will have my loans from that year paid off in 6-7 years. I grew as a person, as a historian, and learned a lot about the world, so it was worth it to me. However, the amount of debt that I would have incurred from attending a US school would not have been worth any experience- know what level of debt you can actually work with.
Is this program the best fit for me? If you are going to go overseas for graduate work, you should do it to work with someone specific in the field or because the program itself is the best fit for you. If you are going because you want to travel, I would recommend simply traveling (see finance question above).

University College Dublin sign

Because I didn’t have any undergraduate debt, it would allow me to work with the expert in my niche field, and allowed me to learn more about me, going to University College Dublin was a wonderful choice for me. Although I ultimately decided to not continue on in the field due to a lack of funding and jobs at the end of it, I don’t regret my MA for a second.

Dublin Georgian doors

Things You Will Learn

No matter how much research you do, you still won’t know 90% of what you need to to successfully get around and be a person.
In Canada (and the US), drugstores have prescriptions, over the counter medications, and a wide assortment of toiletries, food, and odds and ends. In Ireland, chemists who have medication are completely separate. I learned that one while I was wandering around with a sinus infection… I also learned that in Dublin, if you don’t have a bus pass, you will have to pay each time you get onto a new bus. No such thing as a transfer that saves you the second fare… I’m bizarrely intense with my research- before I go somewhere, do something, or make a purchase, I spend hours reading up on the pros and cons, best way to approach it, what to look for. I spent months researching life in Dublin and it still took me three months to get situated.

You are there to study.
This is something that escapes a lot of people, particularly undergraduate students students studying abroad. You are on a different continent to study at the end of the day- you will have to do assignments, write papers, and take exams that will culminate in a degree, and that requires work. It may be tempting to travel every weekend and party all of the time, but do you want to end up with a sizeable debt and have nothing to show for it?

Cliffs of Moher

You have to be open to new things.
“We never did this at my old school.” Okay, Phoebe from the Magic School Bus, we get it- things are different than they were at home. If you were that attached to the way things are at home, you should have stayed there. It sounds harsh, but you will be living, studying, and working with domestic students who don’t want to hear you continually complain about their country/city/school is terrible because of X. Studying abroad is a fantastic way to meet new people and experience things that you wouldn’t have otherwise had the chance to- while you don’t necessarily have to repeat it, at least you can say you tried!

The Biggest Surprise

This is different for everyone, but the biggest surprise for me was that Dublin felt like home by the end of the year. I don’t know that I will ever have the chance to live there again but it will always be home to me. It’s crazy how much Dublin has changed already since I left (four years ago?!?) but it will still be comfortable to me. There is a little piece of Dublin inside of me now, and that’s certainly something that wouldn’t have been possible without that leap of faith. Living abroad also helped me see that Winnipeg isn’t the place for me in the long run- I either want older history or more to do culturally! Everyone belongs somewhere, you just have to find your place.

Bewleys Cafe, Grafton Street, Dublin

Did you study abroad? Would you ever consider it?

26 thoughts on “Graduate Work Abroad, Travel Thursday

1. tahenryauthoress July 6, 2017 / 9:38 am

I’d love to study abroad. In fact when I was pursuing my PhD I accept a year of research was going to be necessary in Europe for my dissertation.
    But life changes.

2. Susie July 6, 2017 / 11:00 am

For Irish History, doing coursework in Ireland sounds perfect if not important! That sounds like a great experience. I was lucky in undergrad to do a Greece study abroad program that had classes that counted towards my major. Historic Preservation–my MS–is such a new field that education abroad would be tricky and you may not meet the necessary standards in the states. But you learn so much from traveling in other countries and sharing knowledge!

3. Deb's World July 8, 2017 / 7:40 am

Such an interesting post! You raise lots of good questions for those considering this study option and doing your research is very important. Well done 😊

4. Ritu July 8, 2017 / 7:41 am

I would have embraced the opportunity, had it arisen!

5. Gabe Burkhardt July 8, 2017 / 8:14 am

While I did have the chance to teach abroad briefly (London and Kuala Lumpur), I never had the chance to take formal courses overseas. And I don’t think I have it in me to sit on the other side of the desk in a structured classroom again, but I wish I would have at least taken a semester abroad…
    Cheers!

• anhistorianabouttown July 8, 2017 / 10:38 pm

Now working at a university and seeing it all of the time, I think I could if it was something I was truly interested in- otherwise not a chance!! And those are both VERY cool cities to teach in, I’m fairly jealous here!

6. collegeceliackc July 8, 2017 / 12:40 pm

I didn’t have the chance to study abroad during my undergrad, but I hope that I will have the chance to travel as I start my graduate program in a month. I’ll be earning an MFA in Creative Nonfiction and be teaching my first college class. I’m 100% terrified and excited, and I loved reading about your graduate experience!

7. josypheen July 8, 2017 / 12:57 pm

I felt that same way after studying abroad in Osaka. I love that if you study somewhere you really make close friends and you end up with a second “home town” on the other side of the world. 🙂

I’ve lived aboard both as a student and as an adult but I found it is totally different. When you are a student, you have hardly any money, but it is so much easier to make new friends. I think that is why it feels like home so quickly.

• anhistorianabouttown July 8, 2017 / 10:36 pm

I also think that there are just more opportunities as a student- classmates, student groups, random get togethers. Unless you hang out with work friends, it can be tough to make new friends as an adult!!

• josypheen July 11, 2017 / 10:32 am

Funny isn’t it!?
        I guess that is why so many elderly people feel alone. If it is hard to make friends in your 20s-30s it must be even tougher in your 60s-70s!!

• anhistorianabouttown July 11, 2017 / 10:34 am

I find that there are a lot more senior groups than people for those in their 30s and 40s!! In Winnipeg, there are senior sports, leisure, cooking, art, reading, and countless other groups, but I think a lot of it has to do with time! If you are retired, you might have more flexibility 🙂

• josypheen July 11, 2017 / 10:50 am

Ahh true.
            At least it’s easier to make blogging friends…they are just so spread out around the world!

8. fattymccupcakes July 8, 2017 / 4:52 pm

I love your honest and real life suggestions! I especially loved the one concerning whether you really want to just travel, not actually study. That’s something everyone looking into studying abroad needs to assess!

• anhistorianabouttown July 8, 2017 / 5:01 pm

I find that that seems to be a younger student thing- the people who just graduated type thing. However, I think I’m going to do a follow up posts on the different approaches to studying abroad to go more indepth- I wanted to dig deeper but I already thought it might be too long 😶

9. Lisa Orchard July 8, 2017 / 10:27 pm

I think I’d love to study abroad now, but when I was younger I would’ve been too scared of being way across the ocean without any family. I’m braver now. 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown July 8, 2017 / 10:35 pm

Oh, there were many tears shed and uncertainty abound! It took probably a full six weeks for me to do anything more than go straight to class/grocery store and back to the flat. It was really a growing year for me!

• Lisa Orchard July 8, 2017 / 10:42 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who would’ve been anxious. Although, you did it. Kudos to you for being so brave!

10. Becca Barracuda September 8, 2017 / 6:20 pm

Great photos! I would have loved to study abroad in my undergrad, and I considered it (considered Dublin, actually, I think!), but it would have pushed my degree back my almost a year. And I wasn’t about that. Part of me wishes I would have done it anyway, but the other, more sensible, part of me thinks I made the right choice. Plus, I’ve done a lot more traveling now, as an adult with more than $40 in her bank account. 😉

• anhistorianabouttown November 11, 2017 / 8:06 pm

In my undergrad, it would have pushed me back a full year, and I wasn’t willing to take that risk, quite frankly. I did end up with debt from my MA, but it is a manageable payment each month, and I’ll be done three years early. I also don’t know that I would have grown as much from it if I had been younger, either- it wouldn’t have been a full year as an undergrad, and so many things would have been planned for me. This forced me to do things on my own, and it definitely forced me out of my comfort zone!

11. Fernweh Friday October 16, 2017 / 12:18 am

Bewleys! Thanks for the wonderful trip down memory lane to my own visit to Ireland. I’ll have to return sooner than later!