Fashion Rules at Kensington Palace, Travel Thursday

If you don’t know, Kensington Palace is my favourite place on earth. It’s the home of one of my favourite periods in English royal history (the Georgian period), it’s a beautiful place to visit, it’s the home of my style icons (the Duchess of Cambridge), and they have some fantastic exhibitions. A new exhibition has just opened up, Diana: Her Fashion Story, which focuses on the style exhibition of Diana, Princess of Wales. While I was visiting Kensington in the summer of 2013, there was an exhibition on the fashion of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Her Majesty the Queen Mother, Her Royal Highness Princess Margaret, and Diana, Princess of Wales. Today’s post is about my favourite pieces from Fashion Rules, the exhibition!

travel-thursday

This coat is gorgeous, and is clearly still in wonderful condition. I’ve really got to say, I love the longer length of dresses and coats in the 1950s and 1960s. I am quite short and tend to stay away from longer pieces because I feel like they make me look smaller and younger than I am, but I might rethink that if more people were wearing pieces like this! coat1

The detailing on these dresses are absolutely astounding, and even more so in person. Although M wasn’t particularly interested in looking at decades of royal fashion, he let me take as much time as I wanted- I spent more time than I should have looking at the embroidery work here. I love that the thicker and weightier fabrics used allowed for it!

dress8

I feel like anyone who is vaguely interested in the British Royal Family recognises Princess Margaret’s turban. While this is definitely out of my personal style, I think that outfits that make a statement like this need to make a comeback. No plunging necklace, no open back, no bizarre not-fabric, just a luxurious and gorgeous ensemble that stuns from head to toe!

dress5

I just adore this blush pink gown, and I could actually see myself wearing it! (I could probably actually fit this, I’m a similar size to Her Majesty…)

dress4

I know this isn’t the most famous dress of Diana’s, but it has to be my favourite! To me, it emphasises her height in a wonderful way. Although it is a monochrome piece, the beading and fabrics creature texture and dimension missing from a lot of the gowns we see nowadays! Red is my favourite colour, so that might be a bias, but this is timeless and elegant and I would love to see this remade.

dress3

Once again, Princess Margaret is out there in a fantastic way! I always stick with traditional and classic pieces but seeing Princess Margaret’s wardrobe in person reminds me that sometimes experimenting is worth it.

dress2

I don’t know why but I love these sleeves! I’m not loving the bell sleeve trend happening but I could get on board with this look….

dress1

I don’t even know what to say about this- is there a more gorgeous dress out there?? THIS is why she is the Queen and we are not. The delicate and understated beading and embroidery, the peak-a-boo skirt, the elegant necline, it all combines for a gorgeous gown that has not been matched since!

dress6

What has been your favourite “surprise” on a trip? Any hidden gems?

If you are interested in more posts about Kensington Palace, check out:
So we had tea at a palace… Kensington Palace
An Historian About Kensington Palace

20 thoughts on “Fashion Rules at Kensington Palace, Travel Thursday

1. Charlotte Graham March 2, 2017 / 7:48 am

I love love love this post!! Your photos are lovely, and I really enjoyed seeing so many iconic fashion statements from various royal family members. I will have to second the first comment and say that the blush pink gown is my favorite of all these.

• anhistorianabouttown March 2, 2017 / 7:58 am

Aww, thank you so much!! What I loved most was that it wasn’t only one person featured. Diana is certainly a large figure in recent royal history but I love that we get a wider span of decades and personal styles here! I need to step up my game now…

• Charlotte Graham March 2, 2017 / 8:18 pm

Me as well! I feel like my standard J. Crew uniform just doesn’t cut it compared to these stunners.

• anhistorianabouttown March 2, 2017 / 8:22 pm

“I’m ironed and coordinated…. and that dress has HAND BEADING BY BLIND NUNS. I guess I look… good” haha. I want to do more of these classic but slightly more dramatic silhouettes!

2. Trula Marie March 2, 2017 / 11:33 am

One word: Diana. The woman seriously was a fashion Icon for me at a very young age. And I absolutely adore Kate’s style as well.

• Trula Marie March 2, 2017 / 10:00 pm

All of it is in my opinion.. But I’m shameless for Diana and Grace (though I know she’s not British Royalty). My faves to be honest. And now Kate of course.

3. willowbentleysmama March 7, 2017 / 7:19 am

I have zero interest in fashion but I thought I would read your post anyway. I loved it! I loved Princess Diana and I loved the beautiful coat and dresses! Very interesting blog.

• anhistorianabouttown March 7, 2017 / 5:54 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by, I’m glad that you enjoyed it!! Her wardrobe is something else, I’m really hoping to have a chance to see the Diana specific exhibition. Everything is so sumptuous, it’s hard to imagine owning all of these! 🙂

4. Candace May 28, 2017 / 7:38 am

I’m such a huge fan of the exibitions they put on at Kensington Place. Always so elegant and full of glamour!

5. hotmessmemoir May 28, 2017 / 8:21 am

This post was like chocolate or that bonus fry you find in the bag (can you tell I’m reading while hungry?). Ah! Just a wonderful post! I aced my historic costume class in college as that was my jam! To see these lovely pictures are simply stunning! I can’t wait in 50 years how there will be another costume exhibit only it will feature the garments of today’s princesses! I think one of my most favorite was Princess Di in that lovely little black dress. She was so chic!

6. thebeasley June 24, 2017 / 7:33 am

WOW! Such GORGEROUS dresses. Steeped in history too. Amazing.

7. noellekelly June 24, 2017 / 7:38 am

I love love love the last dress!