My Summer Morning Routine

Although a lot of people don’t believe us, most of Canada actually does see very hot summers- upwards of 30°C for much of the season- and that certainly affects my morning routine. While the base of it stays the same, there are some changes that I make to allow for the sun, the heat, and the differences in the day that set me up for a more successful day. None of these are big steps, but they go a long way in keeping me healthy and moving in a hot and draining season!

I am not a heat person. I will take -30°C over 30°C any day of the week- you can bundle up against the cold, you can only take so much much off when it comes to heat. However, there are some easy ways to guard yourself against the heat and stay hydrated and happy throughout the day.

1. Get Fresh Air

Agnes is a wonder for many reasons, but giving me a reason to get outside and get moving is one of the best ones! (Aside from cuddles and kisses, of course) We start every day with a 5-10 minute walk outside, rain or shine, and the fresh air does a world of difference with my attitude, as well as how awake and alert I am. I am prone to getting quite awful headaches when I wake up in the middle of a sleep cycle, and a few minutes outside does a lot to quell those headaches. It also does wonders with my attitude! A little bit of time outside in the fresh air and the quiet is a peaceful way to start you on your way for the day.

Morning walk with puppy

2. Drink 250-500ml of Water

I don’t think I am odd in feeling more dehydrated during the summer than I do in the winter. This is a particularly hot summer for us here in Winnipeg, so most mornings it is 20°C when Agne and I go out for our 5:30am walk- the day starts hot right off the bat, and really doesn’t seem to cool off until about 8:30pm. I couldn’t do the warm lemon water first thing trick, but I find drinking 250-500ml of water while the water for my tea is boiling makes a big difference in how I feel. My head doesn’t hurt as much, my joints don’t feel as swollen, and drinking water earlier on in the day seems to make it easier to drink more throughout the day. Getting that first cup or two in is crucial!

3. Apply Sunscreen First

I tend not to apply sunscreen on my arms and legs until the evening- I don’t walk outside for more than 2 minutes once or twice throughout the day, until I get home in the evening. (In the morning, I’m usually covered from head to toe for those walks.) However, I do apply sunscreen to my face and decolletage before I apply anything else in the morning- I use Clinique’s Pep-Start Daily UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (say that 5 times fast…), and it is a fantastic base for make up or to be worn on it’s own. It has a slight tint to it which does well to even out your complexion for a make up free but still polished look! It is on the more expensive side at $25 CAD for 50ml but given that it doesn’t take a ton properly cover your face, and it is a mineral sunscreen, I am happy to invest in it. Putting it on first ensures that I always have it on!

Clinique Pep Start SPF 50

4. Read Some News

I am a big fan of spending a few moments on my Flipboard app in the morning getting caught up on the news- I know that you aren’t supposed to be on a device in the morning, but it’s one of my favourite parts of the morning. My own feed tends to be a mixture of world news (fairly depressing for the most part), developments in history, and feel good animal stories. I don’t like to do a full news catch-up in the morning as it tends to be quite a depressing way to start the day, but I get enough to be informed as to what the big things happening across the globe are, while still reading about a dog that water-skis on the weekend (I should learn to do that… weekend or not). It’s all about balancing stark reality with some happiness for a solid day for me!

screenshot_20180701-190642_flipboard3642579003393650534.jpg

5. Wear What’s Laid Out

I don’t get changed until right before I leave for work, so that I don’t sweat excessively/ get dog hair/spill something on it before I even leave the house, and I always lay out clothing the night before based on weather and what my day looks like. I have found that laying out clothing and sticking with what I’ve laid out has been key for a more enjoyable morning; I don’t waste 5-10 minutes looking at my closet wondering what to wear, and I’ve nearly eliminated all clothing regrets (where you get to wherever you are going and regret the clothing that you are wearing). It also only takes about 1-2 minutes for me to actually get dressed now, and that’s pretty fantastic!

Old Outfits

What does your morning routine look like? And does it change from season to season?

18 thoughts on “My Summer Morning Routine

1. jay July 2, 2018 / 2:26 am

The best, uncomplicated cool down during the day is to wipe as many pulse areas as you can discretely reach with cold water, and air dry. Or, if you can get to a bathroom for a couple of minutes run cold water over your wrists.

• anhistorianabouttown July 2, 2018 / 9:44 pm

THANK YOU for these tips- I’ve never heard them, and we are in for at least 2 weeks of 30°C or hotter! I will definitely be using the wrist trick at work!

2. Victoria July 2, 2018 / 2:57 am

Its so interesting to see the difference between routines across countries, I live in Australia and our summers are hot as hell! That said I do a very similar thing in summer (though I wear sunscreen all year round, because you can still get pretty burnt here in winter, even if its cold.) Anyway, very interesting post and I’m tempted to do a similar one with a winter routine 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown July 2, 2018 / 9:43 pm

I have had several sunburns in -35°C weather- its incredibly bright where I live in the summer, and it gets worse in the winter because the light reflects off of the snow! Please share your routines- I want to know what it would look like for an Australian!!

3. rachaelstray July 2, 2018 / 3:17 am

Sun cream is so important – I wear a lot on a weekend as I spend more time outside. My makeup and moisturiser has SPF in it too so my face and neck are always protected.

• anhistorianabouttown July 2, 2018 / 9:42 pm

I am so excited to see SPF in my make up and then it’s to a maximum of 20 😓 I’ve yet to find make up that has more than that! I usually just sunscreen up everywhere first thing in the morning, and then touch up my face throughout the day- Agnes keeps me walking all of the time 😥 I’m quite excited for a break from ridiculous sunlight when I visit the UK in the winter!

4. amreade July 2, 2018 / 6:58 am

Love this post. My morning routine varies almost every day, depending on whether my husband goes into work or works at home, what the kids’ work schedules are, whether it’s a school day, etc., etc. But like you, I always drink water in the morning, and usually one cup of coffee. I always eat breakfast, too, though the times vary (see above). I like to walk the dog right after breakfast, but in the heat wave we’ve been having I don’t think it’s safe for her to be outdoors for too long, so a run in the backyard has to suffice. And moisturizer with sunscreen! Have a great day.

• anhistorianabouttown July 2, 2018 / 10:41 am

We live in the country and don’t have a fence, so we do several 3-5 minute walks and then a longer one when it cools off at night! Thankfully westies are small dogs and don’t need hours of walking like my brother’s Huskies 🙂 None of the moisturizers that work for me have SPF, I think I’m doomed to have to put both on first thing!

5. Trula Marie July 2, 2018 / 12:47 pm

My morning routine changes rarely unless it’s the weather. Sometimes what I laid out thinking it’ll work for the weather that was supposed to happen must change last minute. Also, I’m pupper sitting the first of this week, so I’m up walking the boys ever morning. I really felt good this morning doing it and if it weren’t for the fact that they both sleep in the master with the owners, I would totally kidnap them to walk every single morning. Sadly not an option. The only other thing that changes is my skin care routine when it gets colder because it’s dryer and my skin isn’t happy.

• anhistorianabouttown July 2, 2018 / 9:40 pm

Haha, in the winter I need to allow an extra 15-20 minutes for driving, and 10-15 for clearing snow- my routine is entirely different from November to April! I am pretty anal retentive about checking the weather the night before for clothing and we don’t get too many unexpected weather changes thankfully! My evening routine is where I do the bulk of my skincare/moisturising routine- that’s a good 20 minutes I tell myself is an investment in me haha!

6. Hannah July 2, 2018 / 1:58 pm

I love this 🙂 To be honest I don’t have much of a morning routine apart from get up, go get breakfast, eat my breakfast in bed while watching something on my iPad. But I suppose that’s because I don’t really have a need to get up in the mornings as I don’t start work until 4pm 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown July 2, 2018 / 9:38 pm

You forgot to mention that you go to the coolest job in the world 😍 When it’s not nice out, Agnes and I cuddle and watch the Home and Garden network for half an hour 😂

7. tahenryauthoress July 2, 2018 / 2:48 pm

My early day is always the same: get up, take my B12, make the bed, put on clothes suitable to walk the dog, pour a cup of coffee, walk the dog (45 min on average). Drink my second cup while catching up on blogs. Now I’m ready to handle whatever the day brings.

• anhistorianabouttown July 2, 2018 / 10:38 am

I am so jealous you get to do a long walk in the morning!! We can usually get in a second 10 minute walk if I am on my game, but we can’t do our 30-45 minute walk until the evening! (Its usually the last thing we do, so I have a pooped pupper who will go to bed haha)