Easy Edible Cookie Dough, Make It Monday

I think that all of us can admit that we’ve eaten our fair share of raw cookie dough in our lives, more than some of our fair share in a lot of cases! And although it is truly delicious and might make you feel like you are walking on the wild side, it’s really not that great for you in the long run. Thankfully there are people who have come up with recipes so that we can enjoy our cookie without the risk of salmonella or anything else to stop us- this is one of my favourite edible cookie dough recipes!

Edible Cookie Dough

Made In a Day is a fantastic resource for recipes, and I’ve gone there many times myself! She logs her recipes by ingredient, which makes it incredibly easy to search when you have a craving for something. I’ve tried four or five different edible cookie dough recipes, but this is my favourite by far!
**She includes directions on roasting your flour- raw flour should not be consumed, so all you have to do is pop it in the oven quickly and wait for it to cool before using it!

Edible Cookie Dough

-2 sticks of unsalted butter softened
-1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon salt
-2 cups all-purpose flour toasted for safety
-2 tablespoons milk
-4-8 ounces mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. In a mixer blend softened butter, brown sugar and salt together.
2. Toast the flour: Spread raw flour out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes to kill any harmful bacteria.
3. Let the flour cool to room temperature before adding chips or they will melt.
4. Mix in vanilla and then slowly add in the flour.
5. Add in the milk.
6. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
7. Sprinkle with chips and serve with ice cream or alone.
8. Store in refrigerator or freeze up to 3 months.

Things I Changed

-I used regular chocolate chips, as I had no mini chocolate chips on hand!
-I will often roll it into balls for parties/events to make it easier for guests!

edible cookie dough

Are you for or against raw cookie dough?

The Historian

17 thoughts on “Easy Edible Cookie Dough, Make It Monday

1. Ocean Bream June 25, 2018 / 4:38 am

In my opinion, all cookie dough is edible, salmonella be damned. That being said, however, I always welcome cookie dough recipes that are classified as ‘edible’ by public standards – and your recipe looks delectable. I have to try it, I have all the ingredients 🙂 I have never heard of toasting flour before, I imagine it must make it taste more like ‘cooked’ cookie dough? Also, do you know why raw flour must never be consumed?

• anhistorianabouttown June 25, 2018 / 7:42 am

Hahaha, this just allows me to feel okay with eating more of it 🤣 The toasting doesn’t actually change the taste at all! Its just 5 minutes in the oven at 350° 🙂 It kills the possible E coli bacteria- I know someone who ended up in the hospital with E coli, so now I’m pretty wary of it. I would take salmonella over E coli any day (in the worst game of would you rather in existence)!

• Ocean Bream June 25, 2018 / 8:29 am

Wow I had no idea about that – I ALWAYS eat raw flour D: You’re absolutely right, salmonella over E coli anyday! From now on I am always toasting my flour. See, I knew blogging and reading other blogs could save my life one day.

• anhistorianabouttown June 29, 2018 / 2:48 pm

Well, it took 3 1/2 years but MY BLOG MADE A REAL WORLD DIFFERENCE!!! 😀 Hahaha, it’s not something I thought about a lot before but there have been a ton of cases of E coli in raw flour, so I rather had to start paying attention!

2. Hannah June 25, 2018 / 5:48 am

OMG I need this! It sounds and looks amazing! 😀

3. gigglingfattie June 25, 2018 / 7:05 am

Ooo wow! All the edible dough recipes that I’ve seen never tell you to toast the flour! That is such an important thing to know!

4. runsewread June 25, 2018 / 7:35 pm

I was craving cookie dough this weekend. Thank goodness you didn’t post this then. 🙂 Seriously, it sounds delicious.

5. cookwithreena June 28, 2018 / 10:05 am

ha ha ha. That very interesting. I remember how I always wanted have a spoonful of dough as a child. Not only cookie dough . also of pan cakes too. Its great to make it with toasted flour and consume it with icecream or with kheer. Lovely.

• anhistorianabouttown June 29, 2018 / 2:42 pm

Haha- I do portion it out so that I don’t eat it all at once! It freezes nicely 🙂