Snapshot- 20 June 2018

For anyone who has been following the blog in the last 5ish months, you will know that I’ve been working on Pinterest. While I’m not skyrocketing, I am seeing growth, and I’m pretty happy with it! So, I’ve now moved to working on…

the dreaded Instagram. (You can find me here!) I enjoy sharing my own images and seeing the people that I follow, but the follow/unfollow game is quite exhausting. I’ll admit to unfollowing accounts when I’m not enjoying what I’m seeing for 2 or more months, but that’s about it! I post every day with few exceptions, and I’ve been using Instagram stories quite a bit. However, engagement is still pretty low, and I’m at a loss as to how to proceed.

Please share your tips and tricks for Instagram, and leave your account in the comments for me to follow! How do you build a genuine group of followers, and maintain a relationship with them? And is there anything that you would like to see more or less of on my Instagram?

The Historian

23 thoughts on “Snapshot- 20 June 2018

1. rachaelstray June 20, 2018 / 3:12 am

Everyone is struggling with Instagram and the dread algorithm.

• anhistorianabouttown June 20, 2018 / 7:49 am

Other than not needing to post at my regular schedule anymore, the algorithm didn’t actually change much for me!

2. HistorianRuby June 20, 2018 / 3:24 am

I’m so NOT engaged on Instagram! I feel an urgent need to head over there!

3. Kelsey Marie June 20, 2018 / 6:54 am

Good luck with your endeavors with instagram! I have thought about getting into pinterest, but I’m not too sure how to connect it with the blogging audiences. So, congratulations on being able to do that!

And as for my Instagram, which is @kelseylogsd for now, I’ve yet to connect it to my blog because I wanted to reach 100 followers on here before combining my two ‘lives’ and promoting myself there. But, I do utilize social situations like adding every person I meet as a way to grow my follower count. Also, use hashtags for your first few posts and maybe on your blog talk about things you’ve seen and add the direct link to your instagram so that those who are curious will follow it in order to get a better visual!

Liked by 2 people

• anhistorianabouttown June 20, 2018 / 7:44 am

I’ve followed you on Instagram! 🙂 I do use hashtags, and I’ve been trying out every strategy recommended- using less than 10, using 15, using the full 30, putting them in the body, putting them in a comment, changing them every day, using some of the same from day to day, none of it seems to have lasting results. I also had a great schedule for when my posts would perform well but with all of the algorithm changes, that isn’t so relevant anymore haha.

I also do have my Instagram account linked at the bottom of every post, as well a feed for it in the right hand side of my blog! I try not to duplicate content between the blog and Instagram too often because a few people let me know that’s why they unfollowed me (which I can completely understand 🙂). It is very possible that my pictures just aren’t up to snuff, though!

Liked by 2 people

• Kelsey Marie June 20, 2018 / 8:13 am

True! I hate the new algorithm so much, I have a few friends who are MUA’s that post on the story to alert their followers of their new posts. I’ve also found that people like photos more often if your face is in it, though I’m not sure why!

4. amelia June 21, 2018 / 6:08 am

Instagram tips that have started to help me lately:
    1. Post at the best time (when your followers are online). You can see this under “Analytics” if you have a business account – if you don’t, switch now. It’s free and has much more functionality.
    2. Instagram promotes posts that have high engagement in the first few hours of a post. That’s why you need to share when your followers are online. Open up a bit in your captions, ask a question, and always like and reply to comments as soon as possible.
    3. Are you using all 30 hashtags? You should be! Aim to use hashtags that only have 50k posts or so. If you’re using hashtags that have millions of posts (like #instagood or whatever) your post will just get lost in the fray.
    4. Once you’ve posted, spend a few minutes interacting with other posts that use the same hashtags. Remember, it’s SOCIAL media. People will unfollow you, or not follow you in the first place, without interaction.
    I’ve only got just under 1k followers but I had a couple hundred last month, so I’m getting there with these tips. I’m @thebeautifultraveller 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown June 21, 2018 / 6:39 am

I had an AWFUL experience with a business account- in the month that I had one, my engagement plummeted to 10-15% of what it was, despite me spending upwards of half an hour on Instagram after posting and another 30 minutes spread out during the day 😥 It seems from what I’ve read, if you do well with a business account, you do really well, but if you do poorly, its REALLY poorly.

I had a schedule that worked SO WELL until the last algorithm change- it has kind of worked out well, because I’m getting the same amount of engagement at all times. I do dedicate 30 minutes a day now to commenting on people’s posts- real comments that actually respond to their image/caption- and I find only about 10% of people even respond. I’m hoping it’s just that people are busy! Do you find that certain kinds of comments elicit more responses?
      As for the hashtag thing, I am very torn. I’ve read many contradicting things on how many hashtags to use- less than 10/15ish/30, and all combos lead to the same engagement for me also! I do stick to tags with 60k or less, aside from 2-3 bigger ones per post 🙂

5. thatblogwherecheriemovestogermany June 21, 2018 / 7:42 am

I actually get more referrals to my blog from Instagram than I do Pinterest! Not sure why? The only things I post on Instagram are pictures of my dog and cat, and sometimes my very handsome husband 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown June 22, 2018 / 9:53 pm

I definitely have more from Pinterest but I have been working on Pinterest since March, so I think that may be why. From the research I’ve done, Instagram can be fickle for referrals because it means that someone has to go to your profile to see the link, so I’m not sure how to entice people to go there…. I say all the husky pictures possible!!!

6. thehomeplaceweb June 21, 2018 / 8:35 am

It all sounds very discouraging. I am on neither PIN interest or Instagram, but may jump in this summer if I get a student to help me out. One small question, on Instagram can people copy and save your photos? (or is that the point of PIN interest). You can tell I know very little….

• anhistorianabouttown June 21, 2018 / 8:37 am

From what I can tell (which may be wrong): people can share your photos from Instagram (and it always links to your profile) or they can “regram” it with an app that shares it to their account. If you regram it, the apps will add a watermark with your account name on it, and keep your comment with it! People could always screen shot it, but I suppose that is a risk for anything 😪 I find it all quite confusing!

• thehomeplaceweb June 21, 2018 / 9:51 pm

I think I’ll pass for now, but I may give PIN interest a try this summer…..thanks for explaining!

• anhistorianabouttown June 22, 2018 / 9:46 pm

I would recommend starting with Pinterest, certainly- it can be all just for you, as you can find the most wonderful things there regardless of ever sharing your own things 🙂 The recipes and sketches I’ve found are amazing!

• thehomeplaceweb June 23, 2018 / 2:48 am

Thank You! I did finally post my blog on Instant-Pot for Beginners if you are still interested in buying one!

7. amreade June 21, 2018 / 8:47 am

I’m on Instagram @amymreade and I haven’t done much with it in terms of marketing. I switched to a business account to see whether and how it changes things. I may go back to personal if I see little or no movement. I have my account linked to FB so my photos actually generate more interaction on FB than they do on IG.

• anhistorianabouttown June 22, 2018 / 9:51 pm

I would say half of my pictures generate more interest on Facebook than they do on Instagram, as well! (I have them linked to my personal page than my blog page, which may explain it) I had a bad experience with a business account, but if I ever hit 2,000 followers (which would be 500% growth from where I am hahaha), I may consider going back! I do use apps for analytics, which does help somewhat 🙂

8. Trula Marie June 21, 2018 / 10:50 am

Girl I already posted about my go tos for that! Hype Type is the best for doing stuff for your stories!

• anhistorianabouttown June 21, 2018 / 10:54 am

I am finding that people will only engage with my stories if I have a poll or a slider bar- no one will actually respond by sending a message! And I’m not a fan of Hype Type 😦 It kept crashing my phone

• Trula Marie June 21, 2018 / 11:13 am

Awww 😦 and I love looking at yours. I just wish their was a heart option on them to like the story image.