3 Simple and Easy No-Bake Summer Desserts, Make It Monday

We are now officially in June, and summer is fast approaching with cool spring being left behind for more and more heat. While I love baking and find it fairly relaxing, I don’t always want to heat up the oven (and the house) by baking in the summer, so I tend to gravitate towards no bake recipes. These are my favourite three recipes to use in the summer when you want something sweet for dessert but don’t want to deal with the heat of baking!

3 Simple & Easy No-Bake Summer Desserts

Fruit and Cream

This essentially isn’t a recipe it is so easy, but it’s one of my favourite desserts of all time- it’s easy, you can use whatever is in season, and it takes less than 5 minutes to prepare (10 if you have a ton of fruit to cut)! I usually use berries or peaches, but feel free to use whatever sort of fruit floats your boat!

– 1 cup of fruit for each person
– 1 litre of whipping cream (not whipped)
– 2 tbsp of sugar

Directions

1. Wash and cut fruit into bite-sized pieces.
2. Divide into bowls.
3. Pour cream over fruit, with some in the bottom but not full. (It’s not soup!)
4. Sprinkle sugar over the top, and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Serve and enjoy!

That’s it, that’s all!

S’Mores Bar

Marshmallows are a terrifically versatile food. Delicious on their own, fantastic when roasted, and melted marshmallows make for a fantastic sauce. If you live anywhere like I do that alternates being so dry that there is a fire ban on and constant rain, having a bonfire isn’t always as easy as it seems. S’Mores bars are the perfect way to get your s’more fix without going to the trouble of having a fire!

-250g regular marshmallows (handful of mini marshmallows)
-75g of salted butter
-150g of semi-sweet chocolate chips
-265g of graham crackers (2/3 sleeves in a regular box)

Directions

1. Crush graham crackers into smaller pieces (1-2cm size). Empty broken graham crackers and 125g of chocolate chips into greased 33x23cm pan.
2. Over medium heat, melt butter and and regular marshmallows together until melted. DO NOT let this sit as it can caramelise quickly (continuous stirring needed)!
3. Pour melted marshmallow and butter mixture over graham crumbs and pack down. Top with remaining mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.

smore bar

Strawberry Ice-Box Cake

I have shared this recipe before, but it’s one of my absolute favourites- it’s another great way to use in season fruit and whipped cream (can you tell what I love?)! It’s also not difficult to assemble, and I would say takes about 15 minutes total. I was told that you can apparently buy chocolate graham crackers, so I am going to be trying the chocolate version this summer!

-2 sleeves of graham crackers
-2 cans of whipped cream
-2 cups of cut strawberries

Directions

1. Layer graham crackers, whipped cream, and strawberries 2-3 times.
2. Leave out for 5 minutes to allow slight melting.
3. Place in fridge for at least half an hour; place in freezer for a harder cake.

Strawberry ice box cake final

What desserts do you like to make in the summer?

12 thoughts on “3 Simple and Easy No-Bake Summer Desserts, Make It Monday

1. thebeasley June 4, 2018 / 5:48 am

Eton Mess. It’s so quick & easy and summery.

• anhistorianabouttown June 4, 2018 / 6:19 am

Oh, I miss Eton Mess!! Meringue is only soft here, so you would have to make the hard meringues yourself (making it much longer) 😓

• thebeasley June 5, 2018 / 5:47 am

Ah man! I can’t believe you can’t readily get hold of hard meringues! Weirdly though, I’m going to attempt to make my own soon and I’ll no doubt turn them into an Eton Mess.

• anhistorianabouttown June 9, 2018 / 8:37 am

Yeah, they are a special order, very expensive treat haha. It’s actually interesting to me that the area of the greatest culinary division is usually desserts- our desserts are so different overall!!

2. gigglingfattie June 4, 2018 / 6:33 am

My mom’s go to summer treat is what we call fluff. Cottage cheese, whipped cream (not the spray stuff), fruit of your choice (strawberries are my fav or blueberries) and a pack of jello the same flavour as the fruit. Mix it all together and let sit for an hour or so for the jello to bind and BOOM delish

• anhistorianabouttown June 4, 2018 / 6:36 am

If anyone ever uses the “whipped topping” instead of whipped cream, I know that friendship won’t work!! I’m not a cottage cheese person myself but I think I’m going to make this for a potluck I have coming up!! (My friends love it 😍)

• gigglingfattie June 4, 2018 / 6:55 am

Haha oh no!! Please don’t stop being my friend 😦
        I wasn’t a cottage cheese person myself either until a few years ago but loved this as a child. Still do! But now I enjoy cottage cheese haha

• anhistorianabouttown June 4, 2018 / 7:30 am

Hahaha, I can’t stand whipped topping- the texture is so odd to me!! I know that it has less fat than the real thing but I don’t eat it often enough to be an issue ☺ And texture is why I don’t like cottage cheese, lumpy lumps 😂

3. Hannah June 4, 2018 / 3:37 pm

Nothing says summer more than meringue, strawberries and cream 😀