Snapshot- 30 May 2018

Building on my post from Saturday, I’ve really started to appreciate my hometown of Winnipeg. Sure, we might be a smaller city, only 700,000 people, and we have terrifically cold winters, but we do have some hidden gems that make our city worthwhile…

Ralph Connor House in the West Gate neighbourhood of Winnipeg, MB, dating to the early twentieth century

The Ralph Connor House in the West Gate neighbourhood of Winnipeg, now the home of the University Women’s Club of Winnipeg, is a gorgeous old home dating back to the turn of the twentieth century, and I was lucky enough to tour it! Being a member of a sorority, I have really come to appreciate all of the ways that women support each other, and all of the traditions and history along with it. The Club has called the House home for over 80 years now, and to see the history of the original family along with the Club throughout is simply amazing. Here’s hoping my future home has windows like this!

If you could stay anywhere for a night, where would it be and why?

The Historian

6 thoughts on “Snapshot- 30 May 2018

1. lady sarah in london May 31, 2018 / 12:16 pm

We need more photos… of the interior especially. I adore those turn of the century places. My comments seem to get swallowed up though.

• anhistorianabouttown May 31, 2018 / 12:52 pm

I am going through my spam- my spam filter went nutso for about 8 weeks for some bizarre reason!! And I wasn’t allowed to take photos of the interior, I was crushed. Gorgeous mahogany paneling for DAYS

• lady sarah in london May 31, 2018 / 12:56 pm

Ah ok.☹️Crushed too… I posted on the Wallace collection which has the most sumptioudv19thc interior. Those grand old houses have so much to teach us.

• anhistorianabouttown June 1, 2018 / 7:28 am

I don’t know that I want my house to be as dark inside as some of those older houses, but I love that there is a design philosophy behind those houses. Things were done for philosophical reasons, rather than “OPEN CONCEPT AND GRANITE EVERYTHIIIIIIIING”!!

2. kiracanadiangirl June 3, 2018 / 7:13 pm

I always wanted to live in Dalnavert when I was little. Such a beautiful place!

• anhistorianabouttown June 3, 2018 / 9:08 pm

As a historian, Dalnavert is pretty high on my list, too! For the longest time I wanted to be Eloise at the Fort Garry Hotel and then I learned that it was haunted haha