Weekend with a Westie, Big Moment #1

There comes a time in every puppy owner’s life when you have to celebrate…

Agnes sitting

Westie and Goldendoodle puppies playing

Puppy with certificate from puppy school

Graduating from puppy class!! Agnes did absolutely fantastically in her class- sit, down, leave it, handling, trades, she can do it all! Well, she can do it about 60-80% of the time, 98% of the time if there is a treat involved (which there is most of the time), but I am thrilled with it. I have noticed such a difference in her already, and although we have a ways to go, we have a solid foundation, and I think she is going to grow into a very mature little westie.

Did your doggo take any classes?

The Historian, aka Agnes’ Hoo-mom

Agnes
Instagram

9 thoughts on “Weekend with a Westie, Big Moment #1

1. gigglingfattie May 12, 2018 / 6:53 am

My family has never done the puppy training classes and for our first two dogs it was ok. But my mom’s dog is a horrible little monster and he really should have had it haha. My work family did it for both of their dogs, but they have big poodles. The older of the two is pretty good, although lately he’s been very naughty. The younger, who is just a year and a half, is almost always bad. He hardly ever listens to anything. They didn’t keep up the training outside of classes and it really shows.

• anhistorianabouttown May 12, 2018 / 5:19 pm

I’m finding that she isn’t a terribly behaved dog at all, but she does seem to enjoy the challenge of class! It is so interesting to see how different dogs react to training. I did notice a big difference in the class between the people who did the “homework” and those who didn’t!!

2. dawnkinster May 12, 2018 / 9:18 am

Oh my love those ears! Congratulations on graduating! At one time I thought my next puppy might be a Westie…but she ended up being a sheltie. We went to almost 10 years of doggie school, mostly because she LOVED school. She loved the attention, she loved the adventure of going somewhere, she loved the treats most of all. We went on to get 3 Rally titles, and the first title in obedience. We tried agility, she liked some of it, was afraid of others. She LOVES scent class.
    I truly believe that every dog has one dog sport that is their most thing in the whole world, you just have to expose them to lots of stuff. And there IS a lot of stuff out there if you have time (and the $) to do it. One class a week keeps them engaged. So if your dog loved school, see if you can find something for the two of you to participate in next. You’ll love spending time together.

• anhistorianabouttown May 12, 2018 / 4:35 pm

We are going to do another basic obedience class, to go a bit further with the basics and cement everything!! I think that we are going to try barn trials and agility training to start with, once she reaches a year (the vet recommended waiting to ensure her joints are strong enough). She responds so well to training, and it really tires her out, unlike most other activities and play. Did you happen to do many outdoor classes??

3. tahenryauthoress May 12, 2018 / 9:29 am

I did with my first puppy. A year’s worth because at the time there was this movement where I lived to exclude any dog from neighborhood if it didn’t have a good citizenship certification. We took a lot of classes but he was never as well behaved as my current dog.
    So much of that depends on the breed I think and how much time you can put into the training.

• anhistorianabouttown May 12, 2018 / 4:32 pm

I desperately wish that I could get Agnes into the good canine citizenship program, but to certify I would have to go two provinces over (about a 14 hour drive) 🙁 I think that everyone should put time into training their dog, even just a basic course- it won’t do any harm!

Liked by 2 people

• anhistorianabouttown May 14, 2018 / 12:25 pm

I would have to drive to Calgary from Winnipeg, thinking about it when including all of the potty stops for a certain pup, probably more like 15-16! I’m not sure why no one here wants to organise it!