A Book and A Beverage: March 2018

I’m back again with my monthly instalment of a book and a beverage! For an introduction to this monthly series, please check out my February post here. If you are newer to my blog, each month I’m going to share what I am drinking and what I am reading, and give you a peek into how I’m spending my free time at the moment. And as always, if you are interested in taking part in A Book and A Beverage, please feel free to send me an email at anhistorianabouttown@gmail.com or my Contact Me page.

A Book and A Beverage, March 2018

The Book- Still Me (Jojo Moyes)

I will fully admit that I was about two years late on the Me Before You train, but once I sat down and read it (on one long drive to Banff), I was hooked on Jojo Moyes! What I love about this series is that her characters are very real; they have awkward moments and feel hurt and get excited and have happy days, just like the rest of us. And while I love my chick lit that is incredibly light and fluffy and funny, sometimes it is nicer to sit down with a slightly more serious book. In Still Me we find Louisa now living in New York City as a personal assistant to a fish-out-of-water second wife, trying to maintain her long distance relationship and live her life as best she can. I’m not quite done this yet, because my reading time is little more limited with a little puppy needing lots of time and love, but this is proving to be the perfect escape when I do have down time- it keeps me intrigued without being exhausted in that way that some exciting novels can be. I’m finding that the new characters are enough to keep me interested, while we get to enjoy our lovable favourites who make the series what it is. (Although ironically, Louisa is a little too quirky for my liking- it’s everyone else that really sells it for me.)

If you do enjoy the Me Before You series, I would really recommend trying some of her other books. I am quite hit and miss on historical fiction, but The Girl You Left Behind is a fantastic piece that slowly builds to an involving climax. You follow two women, a century apart who are linked by a painting and a shared history. It also forces you to think about what you would do in an impossible situation, where your survival depends on difficult and possibly immoral choices.

Jojo Moyes' novel Still Me

A Beverage- Hot Water and Lemon

Unfortunately, I am sick again. I think it’s just a standard run of the mill cold, so I’m loading up on hot water and lemon. I will also add honey if my throat is particularly bad, but I’m not a fan in any way, so I try to avoid that at all costs. I wish I had a more exciting beverage for you, readers, but it’s that time of the year in Winnipeg when our bodies are worn down from months and months of cold and germs seem to gain strength. If you have any secret concoctions that you use to battle colds, please send them my way! I am sincerely hoping that next month’s beverage is a little more interesting and that I have a little more energy. (Also, that the snow might just melt a littttttttle bit by then.)

hot water and lemon

What books and beverages have you been enjoying lately?

The Historian

24 thoughts on “A Book and A Beverage: March 2018

1. thebeasley March 19, 2018 / 3:38 pm

I love Jojo Moyes. Have you read “The Last Letter From Your Lover”? It’s so very good.
    I feel you, re the colds. I have had 4 this winter! I’ve also been on the hot water & lemon, but I also add a bit of cinnamon which is meant to help coughs.

• anhistorianabouttown March 22, 2018 / 7:46 am

I have not, but for some reason it’s got an oddly long waiting list at the library and I’m still only about halfway up it haha! And cinnamon helps coughs???

2. beth March 21, 2018 / 6:13 am

I love this idea! It’s great, and so relevant to my last post too🙈, I actually love hot lemon water all year round, I find it really calming before bed! Thank you for sharing 🤗🤗

• anhistorianabouttown March 22, 2018 / 7:03 am

I’ve started drinking it in the morning – it really does wake you up when you throw in an ice cube! I might switch to drinking it hot before bed now, too 😊

3. Losing the Plot March 21, 2018 / 7:25 am

I like the sound of ‘the girl you left behind’ it sounds intriguing

4. Karalee March 22, 2018 / 3:18 am

I hope you feel better soon! Whenever I’m sick I normally drink a lot of chamomile tea!

5. Ritu March 24, 2018 / 4:58 am

I haven’t read Jojo Moyes books yet because I just haven’t had the chance but I think I may need to!
    And hope you feel better soon, hot water and lemon is a beverage of choice for me on a regular basis!

6. Kelsey @ There's Something About KM March 24, 2018 / 5:14 am

This book has sat unread on my bookshelf for so long! I will read it before the end of the year [because it’s part of my reading challenge], and I’ll look for The Girl You Left Behind too.
    I don’t have any specific cold remedies besides sleep, herbal tea with honey, and definitely some puppy snuggles. 🙂 I hope you feel better soon!

• anhistorianabouttown March 24, 2018 / 7:20 am

Thank you!! I’m hoping that a quieter weekend (other than round 2 of puppy shots) will help me finally kick this cold 😓 This reminds me that I haven’t been paying attention to my challenge at all- whoops!! This weekend will be my check in weekend!

Liked by 2 people

7. ameliakwinter March 24, 2018 / 5:16 am

I loooove Jojo Moyes and have been desperate to read this installment, but haven’t got there yet (blame the ids)

• anhistorianabouttown March 24, 2018 / 7:16 am

It took me a while- it auto-downloaded to my Kobo on release day in January, and waited almost a month to start, and another month to read it!

Liked by 2 people

• anhistorianabouttown March 24, 2018 / 7:13 am

Thank you, Cherie! We are due for snow this week and then I’m hoping it will finally and properly start to melt!

8. Gary March 24, 2018 / 5:57 am

Excellent idea Jessica. I read loads these days and really ought to start doing posts reflecting that. Can’t say I’ve tried Jojo Moyes yet, but I will now have to investigate. Hope your colds improving too. I’ve had one that’s just lingered for way too long. Well, it’s just about gone, although last time I said that it was being sneaky and lulled me into a false sense of security!

• anhistorianabouttown March 24, 2018 / 6:58 am

I would love to hear your recommendations, Gary!! I’ve actually been toying with creating a Goodreads account specifically for my blog but I don’t think that I want to maintain a second account on yet another network haha.
      This cold is definitely lingering, I just can’t kick it!! It will improve for a day or two and then come back full steam 😡 And it’s just a cold!!

9. LaurenEph March 24, 2018 / 6:19 am

I will be looking up her books – they sound good. I like chick lit for pure escapism, I can read through them so quickly, getting really consumed in the characters and the story! I used to read a lot of historical fiction but haven’t read any for a while!