How to Use Style Trends in Your Wardrobe, Style File Friday

Every season, every style magazine, fashion ‘grammer and blogger will tell you that THESE are the trends in the upcoming season that you absolutely need in your wardrobe, lest you be an unfashionable mess. Well, unless you have an unlimited budget and an incredibly expansive wardrobe, you will in fact need to limit what trends you incorporate into your closet. It can be overwhelming to figure it out and wade through the trends, especially when it’s based on runway pictures that don’t exactly seem to fit into an average person’s wardrobe. This post is a quick guide on how to evaluate trends and work them into your wardrobe in a usable and adaptable way!

How to Use Style Trends in Your Wardrobe

1) Find Style Forecasters That Work For You

Style forecasters are everywhere- fashion week is no longer the space of designers and magazine editors, but also instagrammers, fashion bloggers, socialites, buyers, celebrities, and pretty much anyone else with a connection. That means that not only are a wide variety of people able to post their thoughts and opinions on the upcoming trends, those thoughts are posted quickly so that other people are then sharing their own thoughts and opinions. Pay attention to who is is writing it- do they have a similar style and budget to you? Does their style look anything like yours? If not, find someone who does, as there is a much better chance that they will recommend something workable for you! My own style is fairly classic and traditional, so streetwear ‘grammers don’t really tend to offer much for me. I stick with sites like Town and Country, as they feature a similar look. Appreciate those sites and bloggers for the art and style of what they share, but recognise that they are not sharing this for you specifically!

spring-summer-2018-fashion-trends-245368-1513692753173-image-500x0cAccording to WhoWhatWear, we will be wearing logos for SS18.

2) Focus On Broad Aspects Rather Than Minuscule Details

Runway designers (where most of our trends begin) will often feature very specific and larger than life detailing. It may seem like a fantastic idea to incorporate it into your daily wardrobe because of how elegant/stylish/exciting/whatever you like it is but can you. However, there are larger elements that may allow you to wear the trend without it being a costume. Sure, maybe every single piece in a collection may have a specific epaulette that you think is cool, but is your wardrobe actually bold enough to incorporate it? (Mine certainly is not…) The broader aspect of that trend would be military detailing! An easier way to use that in a long lasting way would be through structure and buttons- they can carry from season to season, but still work to highlight the current trend. If you absolutely love a collection of floor length tulle ballgowns with excessive beading, you may want find a skirt with an over-layer of tulle that you can wear to work without being overdressed, or a sweater with slightly more beading to capitalise on the trend in long term. Think for the long term whenever possible!

Kate Middleton dressed in a military inspired blazerVia Pinterest

3) Spend Appropriately for What It Is

If there is a trend that you are dying to wear, I would recommend going the H&M route. I have to say that I do not support buying clothing specifically because it is cheap, as it not sustainable in the green or economical sense. (Caring for clothing goes a long way to keeping it for the long term!) However, if you just adore a certain trend and you longingly stare at it every time you pass it in a window or see it on Pinterest, look for a more affordable way to work it into your wardrobe. When chevrons were all the rage for a few summers, I eventually wanted to wear some. I chose a short sleeve blouse for $20 CAD from H&M that I could wear with a skirt or jeans with heels for a dressier look, or with shorts and flats for a more casual look. Very specific patterns and colours tend to not carry from season to season, so buy a few select pieces that are adaptable and don’t break the bank! Also, try to upcycle them if possible- one of my friends uses her “out of date” clothing to make small make up pouches and bracelets.

Sleeveless Blouse with Chevron Print

4) Evaluate If the Trend Works For You

Just because someone somewhere has proclaimed that a certain colour, pattern, cut, or style is “in” and fashionable, it does mean that you have to wear it. They aren’t proclaiming this with your wardrobe in mind, the powers that be do this for some combination of profit and art. Be specific in what you chose and work into your wardrobe, and be realistic about what has a place in it. There is always a colour of the year from Pantone- I would recommend not diving in full force without unless it’s already in your wardrobe and you will actually wear it for the next 4-6 years. This year’s colour is a purple; while it is quite pretty, I own one casual t-shirt in a very different purple, and nothing else. It doesn’t work in my wardrobe at all, so I’m going to take a pass! (I actually recommend being very skeptical of the Pantone colour of the year, as it is typically not a universally flattering colour, and looks very dated within about 8 months… I can’t figure out how the colour of the year doesn’t even seem to last a year.) There are so many trends that don’t work for me at all, like empire-waist tops that come into style every 3-4 years, floaty unstructured pieces, and anything in a warm palette- they just aren’t my piece of cake, and that’s totally okay. Be honest with yourself on what works for you!

pantone-color-of-the-year-2018-ultra-violet-banner-social
Pantone Colour of the Year- Ultra Violet

Bonus tip- look to see if you already have something that suits a trend! Constellations and sequins seem to be huge right now, and two years ago, I bought a navy Kate Spade sweater with a constellation made of sequins… Who knew I would be a trend forecaster?

Do you find that you often embrace style trends or avoid them?

The Historian

27 thoughts on “How to Use Style Trends in Your Wardrobe, Style File Friday

1. tahenryauthoress March 9, 2018 / 9:18 am

I don’t follow fashion trends at all. I don’t check the bloggers about it or see waht’s on the runway unless it ends up on meme. However since I shop at main stream stores I am affected by the trends because varieties of the in stuff end up there. There are definitely seasons where I think, not buying anything for a while. Then there are times where I want the whole store. Everything I see works for me in color and cut.

• anhistorianabouttown March 13, 2018 / 7:19 pm

I very much look at my wardrobe and decide what I am missing/would like to add before ever looking at the trends- I usually only look at the trends to have an idea if I will actually be able to purchase it. I’m finding that less stores meet my goals for slow and sustainable fashion, so I’m looking even less!

2. josypheen March 9, 2018 / 11:46 am

Go you, you trend forecaster!! ❤

Now, Agnes needs some trendy things to match your style.

• anhistorianabouttown March 13, 2018 / 7:21 pm

That is Pandora’s box and once I open it, I will never go back hahaha. I do plan on getting her more clothing once she stops growing so much!

• josypheen March 13, 2018 / 8:41 pm

She’ll be one of the best dressed pups in Canada!

3. Trula Marie March 9, 2018 / 10:58 pm

Some style trends I’m into, but for some reason I never get into them until they’ve already passed. Like our tulle skirts for example. Where they were really big four or five seasons ago, I just picked up on them in 2016. I mean you can still find them! Just not everyone is wearing them. I like it that way because that’s me. I don’t always follow the trend, especially with velvet coming back. And who thought bringing the scrunchie back was a good idea???

• anhistorianabouttown March 13, 2018 / 7:23 pm

Velvet is a VERY specific fabric that is not overly versatile- there is a reason it works well for holiday parties, because it is heavier and quite frankly carries the “party dress” connotation. I don’t understand that trend. And scrunchies need to stay dead. This whole 90s come back thing is mind boggling to me; I lived through it once, and it was ugly then. We don’t need it again!

4. Ritu March 10, 2018 / 4:36 am

Personally I like to find a style that suits me and stuck with it… updating ad I need to 😊

5. ameliakwinter March 10, 2018 / 5:05 am

This is excellent. I’ve recently lost a lot of weight and trying to find my personal style now has proven hard. These are such great tips!

6. Kelsey @ There's Something About KM March 10, 2018 / 5:21 am

These are excellent tips! I like that you used Pantone’s Color of the Year as an example of how fashion should ultimately come down to the preferences of the individual (last year’s color, for example, is one of my favorite shades of green, but it’s not a color I would wear).

7. hotmessmemoir March 10, 2018 / 5:57 am

You know, as a 20-something, even up to maybe 35 I was 100% fashion focused. For about a decade, I worked for Express corporate then DSW corporate. The company cultures were to be fashion focused. Then I began working for companies that weren’t 100% fashion driven and I realized it wasn’t as important. I now keep a very classic wardrobe and barely buy new clothes. And you know what happened? Miraculously I wasn’t living paycheck to paycheck anymore. LOL!! I still love fashion but the time I used to spend reading fashion magazines and shopping is now devoted to blogging. I really liked this post and is the exact road map for anyone who wants to know how to work the fashion system!

• anhistorianabouttown March 10, 2018 / 12:24 pm

My budget has seen a huge shift now that I am specifically going for longevity rather than trends. I can understand working on fashion means that you have to stay up to date, and while I think i would love it on one hand, I think having to constantly update would wear on me. Marketing is getting so good at convincing us that we need these things!!

8. You Can Always Start Now March 10, 2018 / 6:29 am

I am to the point now I wear what I like period. Black dress pants and sweaters/shirts at work. Casual I am a jeans person. Top might be different like hot pink for fun and like you said don’t spend a lot on something trendy. Great post. PS I do find some people can pull of anything but I think that is also personality. Wear it and love!

• anhistorianabouttown March 10, 2018 / 7:13 am

I will fully admit that if I am not comfortable in what I’m wearing, it will be apparent. (Probably why I pay so much attention to my wardrobe haha) My wardrobe is 95% staples and classics, because why fix what isn’t broken, frankly? Most of my wardrobe fits into my colour palette, and it makes life so much easier to know everything works together. Trends are just so much work!

9. fancypaperblog March 10, 2018 / 6:54 am

Considering I am not terribly stylish, I was impressed by own observations of rainbows as trend so dug out the ancient gear!!

10. Midlife Smarts March 10, 2018 / 7:03 am

Great post. Love the straight-talking advice. Classics ways to go for me. Thanks

• Midlife Smarts March 10, 2018 / 7:07 am

Kate Middleston (Duchess) always looks good but I think she dresses a little too old for her age.

• anhistorianabouttown March 10, 2018 / 7:09 am

I think she can skew that way, for sure- I think the clothing would be fine on its own, but with her slightly harsher make up, the overall look is older. My only question is how much say she has, though- I always wonder if there is someone dictating most of what she wears, because she does have younger outfits! (They are in there to emerge!!)

• Midlife Smarts March 10, 2018 / 7:11 am

Meghan seems to be shaking things up a bit!! Watch that space 🙂 x

11. Fashion Schlub April 2, 2018 / 12:01 pm

Excellent post and thoughts on keeping your style your own.

Bettye