The Homeplaceweb has very graciously nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! What an absolutely lovely surprise, especially from a fellow Canadian blogger. If you are interested in some beautiful artwork and photography, baking, fashion, history, and pretty much anything fascinating, you should certainly head there and follow her!! I always appreciate being nominated for an award, because it means that someone thinks well of you and I think that we can all appreciate that 🙂 To get the nitty gritty out of the way:
• Thank blogger(s) who nominated you for the blog post and link back to their blog.
• Answer the questions the blogger asked you.
• Nominate other new blogs to receive the award and compose new questions for them to answer.
• List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
1) What is your favourite book and why?
Hmm, this is an incredibly difficult question. I would have to say it’s a tie between Northanger Abbey, because it’s a perfect satire for me, and The Book of Tomorrow from Cecelia Ahern, because I think it makes you really think about how today can affect tomorrow (and she is such a wonderful writer).
2) What fictional character would you most like to be?
Definitely Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey. Sure, she’s a bit spacey at times, but I think she is the most fun of Austen’s heroines, and she still ends up with a pretty good situation at the end. (I also don’t hate that she is tinged with the tone of satire…)
3) Why do you blog and what got you started? How long have you been blogging, and how much time do you spend per week on it?
I started blogging because I was looking for lifestyle blogs from young professionals, but they are harder to find than you would think- there are a lot of student lifestyle blogs, mom blogs, budget blogs, whatever, but there seemed to be a bit of a hole for the younger lifestyle blogs. I hope that my blog helps out young professionals, but also anyone interested in the same things as me! I have now been blogging for over 3 years, and with all of the parts of the blog (writing, photography, editing, scheduling/planning, social media), I’m probably looking at 20-30 hours a week.
4) Do you have any hobbies? Or if not, what is your idea of a perfect day?
I have several hobbies, but the main ones (aside from blogging) are ballet, reading, yoga, and very soon, my dog! Although that’s not really a hobby…
5) Do you find it easy or hard to obtain new followers? What was your most popular blog and provide a link to it if you wish? What post did you expect to get more views on but didn’t, and link if you wish.
I find that it is really quite hit and miss- I will have a few weeks where I am constantly gaining followers, and then another few where it slows to a trickle. I’ve found in regards to WordPress followers the best way is to tag your posts appropriately, follow and engage with other blogs, and hang out in the Community Pool post if possible. My most popular blog post is Retail vs Outlet and I cannot figure out for the life of me why that is! As for a post that I expected to get more views but didn’t, probably my post on the Royal Winnipeg Ballet’s The Princess and the Goblin – I thought it was a fantastic production and I would love to see more people interested in it.
6) What is your favourite song?
I’ve got to say, I don’t think I have one! If pressed, I would say “The Children’s Gallop” from The Nutcracker.
7) Is your WP plan free, personal, or premium, and are you happy with it?
After just over two years on a free plan, I moved to a premium plan, and I am quite happy that I did. I mostly did it for the support and bigger storage capabilities, and they have delivered on both- I’m finding that I receive a much faster response on support issues now that I have a premium plan and don’t have to rely solely on the WordPress forums. (That being said, I have never had the personal plan, so I don’t know the speed or level of support there.) I would recommend the premium plan for anyone who spends a good amount of time blogging; like any other hobby, a little bit of investment can usually go a long way!
I love these questions, so I’m going to stick with them! (I love discussing blogging a bit, and I’m a book nerd, so anything with books is a-okay by me.) I’m going to tag some recent followers to do this tag!
I hope this brightens your day!