A Winter Wardrobe: Stylish AND Warm?, Style File Friday

Although I actually do love winter, it’s incredibly frustrating right now for me to follow most style bloggers- it is not almost spring here, and to go outside without a parka, winter boots, and scarf/ mitts/ hat is literally asking for frostbite (and maybe something worse). It is difficult to be inspired and excited about your wardrobe when it is literally -35°C outside with the windchill, and everyone else is frolicking in the sun! (But please keep sharing, because it gives us hope…) Today’s post is for those of us living in the frozen tundra who attempt to be stylish but realistically have to keep all of our limbs warm- how to stay stylish in the winter! (Also, hopefully it is a look into what us snow-folks experience…)

Winter Wardrobe_ Stylish AND Warm_

Definition of Winter: For the purpose of this post, I will define winter as a season with at least two months of snow, and temperatures that drop below -20°C somewhat regularly. At this point, you can’t just run out in your fashionable coat because you will most likely go into hypothermia mode.

1) Acceptance

It usually takes a few years of adulthood to get to this point, but you have to accept that your winter outerwear will not be overly stylish and elegant, and that’s the end of it. There’s no “maybe I will find something”, it’s “this Columbia/North Face/ Patagonia parka will keep me warm if my car dies because the battery has literally frozen”. You can always tell if someone is a) young or b) a new arrival, because they will cling to whatever fashionable jackets they had before for a good month or two, but when we are on the fifth or sixth day of a windchill of -40°C, they finally crack and bring out something that is more appropriate. If it provides any comfort, none of the rest of us are particularly stylish outside either….

Cold Weather Selfie.png

2) Have Warm Clothes Ready

Unless it is -10°C or warmer, I always have sweatpants and a hoodie/sweatshirt to wear over top of my clothing for the day during the car ride/ walk in- it makes a huge difference. I find that when I freeze at the beginning of the day, I stay frozen throughout the day. Not direct blowing heat, not tea, not even vigorous exercise will bring me back from those frozen depths. So, I always make sure that my parka, sweatpants and sweatshirt, and all accessories are ready to go for the next time I leave (usually the night before), so that I don’t get caught frozen. I also have a small tote bag in my car with my old Uggs, some extra socks, scarf, and mitts, and a few other small things in case of the car dying somewhere or having something spilt on me- the only thing worse than being in weather that cold, is being in weather that cold while wet.

3) Take Care in Your Appearance

Although you can’t really put on your make up until you are inside your final building (because even the most “waterproof” mascara will leak down your face when it’s that cold out), you can ensure that your skin is clean and hydrated, that your hair is neat and cared for (even if you have just combed it), and that your clothing is free from wrinkles and creases. I’m pretty much limited to sweaters and pants for December to March because my office is also quite cold, but I make sure that sweaters are hung the night before to be free from wrinkles, that I iron any shirts or pants that need it, and that my shoes and accessories match my clothing. It can be very tempting to wear only fleece-lined leggings and tunics, but I find that putting a little more effort into what I’m wearing inside helps combat the feeling of being entirely un-stylish outside.

Clinique Pink Set

4) Start Looking to the Spring

So, for those of us still very much buried in snow, we won’t be seeing even the beginnings of flowers until the end of April, probably May. By the time that it is actually spring for us, the rest of you have moved onto summer. So, I find that finding things to celebrate in style for February and March goes a long way! I remind myself that I love my plaid shirts and that they will be going away for 4-5 months, and to enjoy them while I can. I also like to think about my red trench coat that I eventually will be able to wear by May at the latest, and that hopefully in April I will be able to wear some of my thinner blouses, and maybe even dresses if I am very lucky.

Lilly Pulitzer Cori Dress Try On.jpg

What is your winter like?

The Historian

25 thoughts on “A Winter Wardrobe: Stylish AND Warm?, Style File Friday

1. workingsbm February 16, 2018 / 2:57 am

I didn’t know that mascara runs in the cold. You have to be so prepared where you are. Great post.

2. gigglingfattie February 16, 2018 / 9:05 am

LOVING that blue dress!!! OMG! That gives me hope for spring. We have been in the -2 to plus 5 range in Toronto these last few days which has been nice. But it is February and I’m just waiting for the last blast of winter to hit us before we can start to really transition into spring.

• anhistorianabouttown February 17, 2018 / 7:38 am

I love visiting Toronto in the winter, it’s so much warmer!! I will be there for a few hours on the 27th to pick up my dog, and it is predicted as of right now to be quite warm! And thank you 🙂 That Lilly dress is one of my absolute favourite dresses even though I tend to shy away from louder pieces- it’s so comfortable!

• gigglingfattie February 17, 2018 / 8:11 am

Omg just coming for a few hours?! That’s going to be a long day. I had no idea that you had to come all the way here for your little Agnes. But I am sure she will be worth it! ❤

3. tahenryauthoress February 16, 2018 / 10:42 am

Not as cold as you. But we got snow again this week.
    I have two standard winter coats. One is wool and toasty warm, it’s my “nice” winter coat. Then I have the ginormous ski parka with (faux) fur lined hood for every day warmth.
    An extensive selection of sweaters and scarves helps the rest. LOL

• anhistorianabouttown February 17, 2018 / 7:36 am

It breaks my heart that wool coats stop being functional here, as they are often an elegant and timeless solution!! And yes, sweaters and scarves are a daily must for about seven months of my year- if you can “seal off” your neck so to speak, it goes such a long way to feeling warm!!

4. josypheen February 16, 2018 / 2:25 pm

Woah! I didn’t even know you can’t wear make up when it’s that cold…I have never been anywhere quite as cold as where you live!

Having the extra outer layers is a genius idea though! I do that with extra socks…but it doesn’t quite get cold enough to worry here. I’ve just been wearing two coats at once (I don’t own a super warm coat) and two pairs of tights so I’m fine. I can stay being a wimp in Vancouver!!

I agree about the comment that you can’t get warm if you’re cold early in the morning. I cycled with too few layers a couple of times and it left me freezing cold all day!

• anhistorianabouttown February 17, 2018 / 7:32 am

For people from here, we do find places like Vancouver and the UK cold as well though, as it is far more damp than we ever get here!! I find that the damp cold sinks into your bones far more than our dry cold. I do a lot of doubling up, though- layering is usually the answer to most weather/fashion issues I find!

That’s why I don’t think I could ever cycle/run to work- I have poor circulation, and somehow get colder when I exercise. I would hate to sit through a whole day of work freezing!! (Much better when I can come home after biking and sit by the fire 🙂 )

• anhistorianabouttown February 17, 2018 / 7:28 am

People who buy jackets without hoods baffle me. That is asking for skin damage, and so much cold!!!

5. Kerry LifeandLoves February 16, 2018 / 4:44 pm

This is so funny to read this as I am a snow fan. I mean, I literally do a snow dance and snow prayers hoping for snow. Where I am in the UK, (Essex) we very rarely get snow. When I think about it though, there isnt really much fun in thermals is there haha x

• anhistorianabouttown February 17, 2018 / 7:27 am

When I lived in Dublin, I think we had snow maybe twice, and it only lasted for a few hours! I would say, we tend to invest more in our thermal layers but they don’t ever tend to much more than okay. I suppose it’s because they are never seen but still 😦

6. Ritu February 17, 2018 / 4:50 am

Well we aren’t stuck in your arctic conditions…. in fact the sun is shining this morning! But it’s COLD… Wrap up warm cold… so there is no spring fashion happening!

• anhistorianabouttown February 17, 2018 / 7:26 am

I do have to say, we are a very bright and sunny place, and the reflection from the snow helps even more! If it’s about -20 or warmer, you can really take advantage of the sun for your Vitamin D 🙂

• Ritu February 17, 2018 / 8:26 am

And that’s important too!

7. Shailaja V February 17, 2018 / 5:20 am

Such valuable tips for those living in more wintry climes. Here in tropical India, all round the year it’s more or less comfortable except in deep summer or harsh winter when a couple of extra coats come out. But definitely nothing to match snowy climes. Hope Spring comes soon and you can wear those lovely dresses soon.

• anhistorianabouttown February 17, 2018 / 7:21 am

Thank you, me as well!! I’ve always wondered what it would be like to entirely avoid winter- in theory it seems wonderful to us here sometimes, but then again, everything has it’s problems!

8. samfiftysomething February 18, 2018 / 12:58 pm

I’m a lover of the 4 season’s they each have their qualities, but I do love wrapping up in Winter coats and scarfs etc 🙂 When I lived in Florida for a few years the 4 seasons were the main thing I missed. It just felt so wrong spending Xmas in my bikini. I just couldn’t wait to get my boots, big coat, woolly hat and gloves on when I got back to England 🙂 Lovely post

• anhistorianabouttown February 24, 2018 / 6:20 am

Thank you!! There is something wonderful about always feeling warm and cozy 😊 Although the winter can be a little grating by this point on us, I am certainly a winter person. I get a lot of enjoyment out of autumn and winter clothing, less so with spring and summer!!