Snapshot- 17 January 2018

From all of the Instagram and Twitter posts, I can see that lots of people are getting snow and cold weather. Well, truly cold weather takes a few more steps to keep moving….

Car plug in

To everyone out there, if you don’t have to plug in your car while you work to make sure it starts when you leave, it’s not that cold. After a week at -30°C and colder (“woohoo” for reaching -40 on multiple days), a balmy -15°C sounds wonderful. Dear world, you need to learn how to winter.

What’s your weather like right now?

The Historian

12 thoughts on “Snapshot- 17 January 2018

1. Kaitlin Bain January 17, 2018 / 1:34 am

WHY DO PEOPLE LIVE THERE?!
    We’re actually having a warm spat in the upper 40s! It’s MUCH better than last winter where we went more than a month below freezing (I’m from Texas. This Washington weather throws me for a loop.)
    How do you stay warm??

• anhistorianabouttown January 17, 2018 / 8:03 pm

Lots of layers, proper Columbia/North Face parkas, and Sorel boots. That’s why style bloggers make me laugh with their “winter” outfits where they have a sweater, jeans, flats, and no jacket- you would literally have frost bite here, most likely with severe cold burn 🤣 It is why we kick ass in hockey, though!

2. Kelsey @ There's Something About KM January 17, 2018 / 6:35 am

The temperature two weeks after Christmas here in Maine (the’re back to normal winter temps for now) were between 0°F and -20°F with a wind chill that made it feel colder, so while that was a little out of the ordinary for here, looking at your temperatures makes those weeks look tropical! The colder temps make me absolutely miserable, so even just thinking about -30°C makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. Just, wow!

• anhistorianabouttown January 17, 2018 / 8:01 pm

The wind chill makes it even worse- you check the temperature to see it’s -18, okay, that’s not bad at all. Waaaaait, it’s -34 with the wind chill?! Thanks, weather gods. I didn’t need feeling in my legs despite wearing 4 layers….

3. chomeusewithachou January 17, 2018 / 6:50 am

I’ve never even heard of that practice before! That is seriously, seriously cold!!! Where I am (France, near Geneva) the weather is unsure whether it should snow or rain. It’s sooo mild here for the time of year, and the ski resorts are apparently suffering.

• anhistorianabouttown January 17, 2018 / 7:58 pm

When we go skiing out west in Alberta and BC, the weather being too warm is often a problem! Winnipeg’s winters are harshly cold, but we do get summers of 40°C!

4. Oriana January 17, 2018 / 12:38 pm

Wow, that is indeed cold ! Here in France it hasn’t been really cold since a long time, it’s only 10° right now ! 😅

5. Trula Marie January 17, 2018 / 1:34 pm

Okay I will officially stop complaining about how cold it has been here in The South…. Thankful not to have to plug my car in to make sure it cranks when I leave work… Not that I’ve /been/ to work.

• anhistorianabouttown January 17, 2018 / 7:46 pm

It’s not fun to use your lunch (or part of it) to go start your car and warm it up, but I will take the cold over our 40°C+ summers!!