The Magic of Ugly Christmas Sweaters, Style File Friday

Ugly Christmas sweaters are everywhere. They are in upscale department stores, in dollar stores, book stores, and even in grocery stores; turn your head in a store in October, November, or December, and you will see them for miles. You can get sweaters that are familiar characters, lovable animals, crass idiots, and even just phrases. I’m all for embracing the ugly Christmas sweater trend, because I truly believe that they hold memories in their ugliness. Today I’m sharing just why I love some of the sweaters that I have!

The Magic of Christmas SweatersStarting in the last week of November, I wear a Christmas sweater to work every Friday. (Partly because it’s fun, and partly because I’m always frozen…) In fact, in the second and third week of December, I usually wear them for two to three days a week- you get a very short window to wear your ugly sweaters and you have to take advantage of them while you can! What I love about this gold sequin reindeer sweater (H&M, 2015 Holiday Collection) is that it’s clearly Christmas-y but also sedate enough that it’s okay to wear in the early holiday season.
Gold Reindeer Christmas Sweater

The Elfie Selfie sweater (H&M, 2015 Holiday Collection) is very adorable but may get you into a bit of trouble. Or at the very least, an awkward situation… I was wearing this at work close to the holiday break and somehow ended up sitting in the lap of a woman taking a selfie with her because it was her last day before retirement… (Almost 9,000 people work at our university, I have no idea who she was but I hope that it was a great last day!)

Elfie Selfie Christmas Sweater

This sweater is one of my favourites, holiday or not! This is the first ugly Christmas sweater that I’ve owned- it was a Penney’s find when I lived in Dublin. (Penney’s, 2012 Holiday Collection) The movable scarf and fuzzy reindeer beard sold me on it, and it never fails to get compliments. Sidenote: I’ve been asked multiple times why a bear has antlers. Stop overthinking the sweater, folks….

Fuzzy Reindeer Polar Bear Sweater

I typically describe this sweater as “amputee gingerbread Christmas sweater”, which I think really sums up those rough times in the holidays when you have a cookie hangover but have three more hours of work and more wrapping to do than you know what to do with. This is a longer sweater, making it super comfy to wear with leggings to really casual events! Heads up, you may get asked if you are Lord Farquad from Shrek when wearing this, and you will have to hold your head high and proudly proclaim that you are pro Gingy.

Amputee Gingerbread Christmas Sweater

This sweater is pretty freaking amazing- my friend Katelynne sent it to me, and IT HAS JINGLE BELLS ON IT. Sure, people know that you are coming from about 20 feet away when you are wearing it but you can also provide festive music and entertainment everywhere you go. A lot of the people I know have cut the bells off their sweaters but I embrace it wholeheartedly- there are very few times in the year that I can get away with being overtly elf-ish, and I’m going to take it. Overheard while wearing it: “Is there a door constantly opening?” Yes, yes, there is. It’s the door to holiday cheesiness. Plus, it matches my jingly antlers yo.

North Pole Jingle Bells Sweater

Do you have an ugly Christmas sweater?

24 thoughts on “The Magic of Ugly Christmas Sweaters, Style File Friday

1. Hannah December 1, 2017 / 3:54 am

I love all of these 😀 Especially that reindeer and bear one 😀

2. J | thenellybean December 1, 2017 / 8:14 am

Haha that Elfie Selfie one made me laugh! I think there’s definitely a warm, fuzzy feeling in these ugly Christmas jumpers, it’s such a family thing and great for creating memories you can look back on to put a smile on your face. Speaking of which, it’s time to go Christmas jumper shopping!

Janelle | http://thenellybean.com

• anhistorianabouttown December 3, 2017 / 6:13 pm

I think that’s my favourite part of holiday jumpers, the memories that come with them. Sure, I might look ridiculous but that’s part of the fun!!

3. josypheen December 1, 2017 / 10:54 am

Argh! I love all of these!!

I bought the most amazing ugly christmas sweater last year. It had a cat wearing reindeer antlers all in sequins! Marc made me take it back because he said it was too ugly to wear anywhere. He was right…(and the sequins were all scratchy) but I was still sad to take it back.

4. ellenbest24 December 2, 2017 / 3:45 am

I am afraid I am bah humbug on the sweater thing and would rather buy them for the grand children. I like to see them they make me smile but now my children are grown I don’t have to myself. But good on you , i look daft enough without… so the husband says hahaaa! Or should that be ho ho ho?

• anhistorianabouttown December 2, 2017 / 8:17 am

Most of my friends and family try to avoid them but they fit with my Christmas obsession haha. I introduced my nephew to them, though, And he got his first sweater last week!

5. Lorna December 2, 2017 / 3:59 am

I don’t have one yet, but Neil’s blinking penguin one arrived yesterday!

• Lorna December 2, 2017 / 1:19 pm

Marks and Spencer. Keeping people in Granny knickers and ugly Christmas jumpers for generations.

6. fancypaperblog December 2, 2017 / 4:21 am

I have quite the collection of these jumpers. In love with this trend. It rules out a lot of decisions in the morning too😊

7. fancypaperblog December 2, 2017 / 4:21 am

• anhistorianabouttown December 2, 2017 / 8:32 am

Right?! It really takes the difficulty out of getting dressed, I just have to decide if I want “classic Christmas” or “terrible pun” haha!!

8. Kelsey @ There's Something About KM December 2, 2017 / 5:05 am

These are excellent sweaters! I have one that has a penguin listening to music on headphones, and the entire sweater is decked out in glitter and pom poms. ‘Tis the season. 🙂

9. Rated by Hanna December 2, 2017 / 6:11 am

Wow you’ve got a collection, they’re so cute. My favorite was the gingerbread. I was tempted to get one but I think I abandoned my shopping cart. Did you purchase the others from H&M too? I can’t convince myself to buy unless it was on sale.

• anhistorianabouttown December 2, 2017 / 8:05 am

They are from Penneys (Primark) and H&M, both really cheap!! And the Uh-Oh is from Giant Tiger, which is the Canadian version of Fred Meyers! They were all $20 USD or less ☺ I actually don’t mind paying it because I do get a fair bit of wear out of them and they are quite warm ☺

10. lindahobden December 2, 2017 / 11:03 am

My Christmas jumper is bright green, hideous & unflattering- but you got to have an ugly jumper in your wardrobe for the silly season’s jumper party, haven’t you?! One is more than enough for me! Bah humbug! 😜

• anhistorianabouttown December 3, 2017 / 5:19 pm

My only criteria for Christmas jumpers is that it be in the spirit and warm. Flattering has nothing to do with it, and that’s the best part!!