Ornament of the Day, #2

From now until Christmas, I will be sharing my favourite ornaments and their stories every Tuesday and Saturday! I collect ornaments of all kinds- our tree is not a cohesive set of ornaments, bought to be one picture but rather a mish-mash of ornaments that are all over the place but each tell their own story. The ornaments that I will be sharing are ornaments that have a unique story or a special meaning to me, and I hope that you enjoy them!

Ornament of the Day

If anyone knows anything of Canadian culture and history, it’s often the red maple leaf, and the navy, yellow, red, and green stripes of the Hudson Bay blankets. Although HBC is now owned by an American company, it is still a quintessentially Canadian company that embodies our hardy spirit and fur trade history in those bold stripes. My Nutcracker fascination shows no bounds; mugs, ornaments, books, movies, tote bags, t-shirts, socks, EVERYTHING NUTCRACKER! So, when my parents gave me this ornament a few years ago, I was so excited! The meeting point of HBC history and the Nutcracker is a perfect ornament for me, and it is so striking against the dark Christmas tree. (It also goes perfectly with the HBC throw that is on our couch in the living room.) Wood ornaments are also super durable and lasting!

HBC Nutcracker Christmas Tree Ornament

Do you have all matching ornaments, or unique individuals?

12 thoughts on “Ornament of the Day, #2

1. Dork November 28, 2017 / 5:59 am

My grandparents used to have a variety of hand-made glass ornaments, each one unique. I loved it so much when they came out of the box! I’ve decided to do the same thing and buy a couple of beautiful glass ornaments each year. This year, I got a space shuttle, a shark and an octopus. 😀 Love your Nutcracker! I wasn’t aware of the HBC blankets – what a cool colour combo!

• anhistorianabouttown November 28, 2017 / 8:07 am

Oh, I love that you are continuing the tradition!! I have my dad’s ornaments from when he was a kid (that are from his grandparents, so the 1930s-ish) that go on my small tree, and I wish I could find similar ornaments to go with them!! Where do you buy your glass ornaments??

Liked by 2 people

• Dork November 28, 2017 / 8:50 am

I like looking for new additions at Christmas markets and in small interior decoration shops. I’ve also discovered a Swiss online shop that specialises in exclusive traditional ornaments: http://weihnachts-deko.ch/ They are horrifyingly expensive, so I only buy two or three at a time. Some thrift stores might be worth a shot if you’re looking for originals from that time.

• anhistorianabouttown December 3, 2017 / 6:44 pm

Oh, those are absolutely gorgeous!! I’ve paid upwards of $30 CAD for one ornament, so this is only slightly more expensive. Next year I want to get a special ornament for my friend who is getting married, and I think one of these would be perfect. Thank you so much for sharing with me!!!

2. Robin November 28, 2017 / 6:05 am

I share your love for Nutcrackers and have several hanging on my tree. Yours is a beauty! Great idea to share your ornaments on your blog.

• anhistorianabouttown November 28, 2017 / 8:05 am

Ooo, you should share some of yours!! I figured, I love seeing different ornaments, so maybe other people would, too 😊

3. gigglingfattie November 28, 2017 / 10:37 am

I finally hit the milestone of buying my first ornaments today!! They are all matchy-matchy but my tree is only 2 feet tall (base included) so there isn’t a lot of room but it’s pretty and now I’m covered in glitter from decorating it haha

• gigglingfattie November 29, 2017 / 2:23 pm

I bought a set of 20 red ornaments. Half glitter covered and half regular..in 4 different shapes. And then I picked up a box of these long silver glitter covered twists. I posted a picture of the tree on my blog yesterday but its hard to really see the ornaments in detail

• anhistorianabouttown December 3, 2017 / 6:18 pm

Oooo that’s absolutely lovely!! I love the twists, they are the easier version of tinsel haha. I’m debating whether or not to pick up a set of HBC mini-ornaments, I’m a sucker for the stripes!

4. kernerangelina November 28, 2017 / 2:34 pm

OMG, I want to steal your idea for the blog posts haha

Cute Nutcracker! My ornaments are all over the place and I buy one new ornament each year. ^_^ Oh and I love my tradition of buying an ornament per year, so much that I made my main character in Follow the Snowflakes do the same! Write what one knows, right? lol

• anhistorianabouttown November 29, 2017 / 1:55 pm

You should definitely share some ornaments!! 😍 Our main tree is all over the place- Nutcrackers, baubles, characters, balls, animals, souvenirs, you name it!!