The Distraction of Christmas?

If you are brand new to the blog, you might not know that I am one of those Christmas loving jerks who enjoys and participates in the holiday season, rather than the specific holidays. I listen to Christmas music year round, and I’ve been known to even throw on a Christmas movie if I’ve had a particularly bad day. However, now is the time when people angrily share and comment on social media that anyone who is getting into the holiday season now is disrespectful to those who have served our countries (Nov 11 is Remembrance Day here in Canada), and I would like to address the distraction of Christmas from other things.

The Distraction of Christmas-

I would like to start by asking, why can someone not have the capacity to handle more than one thing at a time? Is my brain function so limited that the very existence of Christmas lights means that I cannot observe Remembrance Day and honour those who have served our country so that we may live in a free country? Am I so incapable of thought that I can’t set something aside for a day (or more)? I’d like to think that I do in fact have the mental capacity to do such a thing.

**For those who don’t know- Canadian Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October. A lot of people will argue on Facebook that Christmas decorations shouldn’t be up until after US Thanksgiving (late in November), but that isn’t a relevant date to me. Also, I won’t get into it here, but traditionally the holiday season spans from mid-November until early January or even February, depending on the country. It isn’t as cut and dry as people like to claim- if you would like sources on this, please leave a comment!

20151216_195344.jpgI collect Nutcracker ornaments year round, wherever I go!

Stop Assuming

Please stop making assumptions that people who get into the spirit early AREN’T observing Remembrance Day. You have no way of knowing how I honour those men and women- for many people, it is a private thing that they may not want to share like they do other aspects of their life. Start giving people the benefit of the doubt, and stop making snap judgements. I don’t run around calling people Grinches and Scrooges when they only celebrate the single day of Christmas- I don’t assume that they hate people and think that celebrating time with friends and family is pointless. Please stop making assumptions about my life.

Christmas Tree Hunting 2016Christmas tree hunting is one of my favourite days of the year!

It’s a Coping Mechanism

For me and countless other people, getting into the holiday spirit is a very real coping mechanism. There are some wonderful communities online of people who get into the spirit early, and I’ve noticed that for a great many of us, it’s a way that we cope with a tough time in the year. The fall is the craziest time of the year for work, days are getting shorter, and the temperature is rapidly dropping further down the thermometre every day. Reading by the Christmas lights wrapped around my bed and watching cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies on Netflix is my outlet- an outlet, might I add, that doesn’t really affect anyone else, unless they for some bizarre reason are in my room. (If you are, please leave.) Pardon my languge, but I don’t crap over people’s often bizarre and questionable coping mechanisms because quite frankly, they don’t have anything to do with me. Ranting at someone using the holidays as a coping mechanism is not only taking away that outlet, it’s making them feel even worse for it.

2015-12-04-20.46.58.jpg.jpg
I am super proud of the bow skirt that I made myself!

It Probably Doesn’t Affect You

As I said above, my holiday spiriting is fairly private until December rolls around. As much as I love interacting with people, I don’t invite everyone into every area of my life. I sing Christmas music when I’m alone in the car, I watch movies with my headphones on, and I limit decorations to my bedroom. It’s literally affecting no one else, but still, somehow, I’m a terrible person for a) not remembering the men and women who fought for us (even though I do), and b) for apparently forcing it on other people (which I don’t). I understand that social media has essentially become a way for people to passive aggressively (and just aggressively) force their opinions on other people and that will never change but stop and think if something is actually affecting your life when it’s something as trivial as Christmas decorations. **Also, if you would like to unfriend/unfollow/block me on social media because you don’t like what I share and like, I completely respect that and harbour no ill will!**

So before you start passive aggressively sharing memes and photos and rants of people that you don’t entirely know but are now condemning, maybe stop and think for moment.

10 thoughts on “The Distraction of Christmas?

1. tahenryauthoress October 31, 2017 / 10:44 am

You know, if you took out all the Christmas, your post would still be perfectly relevant. Stop and think before you blast another human for living happily.

• anhistorianabouttown October 31, 2017 / 1:18 pm

That’s my biggest question-if the most that it affects you is seeing a post or two on Facebook, why hate on it??

• anhistorianabouttown October 31, 2017 / 9:01 pm

It really, really does. I’ve really been focusing lately on only liking and sharing positive posts, and I’m hoping it’s making a difference!

2. fattymccupcakes October 31, 2017 / 10:58 am

I agree that if someone wants to start celebrating early, it’s none of my business or anyone else’s. One of my friends puts her Christmas stuff out right after Halloween. To me, that’s crazy early SIMPLY because if I did that, by the time Christmas actually rolled around, it’s kind of old news and no longer special. I put my Christmas stuff up after Thanksgiving (last weekend in November). BUT, that’s ME. I don’t hate on anyone who loves Christmas so much they want to have fun with it all year. To each their own.

• anhistorianabouttown October 31, 2017 / 9:07 pm

That’s exactly it! I really don’t like Halloween, it’s just never connected with me. I find it odd and a lot of work for not really much enjoyment. HOWEVER, who am I to say that someone else shouldn’t enjoy it?? If people have fun dressing up, handing out candy, and being generally spooky, go all out!! I think some people just look for things to pick at 😦

3. Becca Barracuda October 31, 2017 / 12:36 pm

Girl, do you! I don’t put up decorations until after US Thanksgiving, but it’s literally the next day. To each their own. With that being said, I do not condone stores putting out holiday stuff in October– I mean c’mon!

PS I love your bow skirt– i might try to copy it for my Christmas party this year!

• anhistorianabouttown October 31, 2017 / 9:05 pm

I don’t think that stores need displays, but I understand people being able to buy holiday decorations- I started buying things in September to spread out and work within my budget. (I don’t need a huge display to know that I need to buy Christmas lights, though…) Because we don’t have anything after November 11, it does make more sense for us to have it here! Fall decorations seem pointless in late November when we have two feet of snow haha. We usually have winter rather than straight up Christmas decorations for November, though.

It’s so easy!! The only thing I would recommend is buy more bows than you think you need and be prepared to move really, really fast. (Also, don’t sit in it because it will squish the bows!!)

4. Lindsey November 1, 2017 / 11:43 am

I could have really used this post when I was younger and took people’s hate so personally. I live in the US so the dates are different, but the attitude is pretty much the same (though not about the day for the Veterans. We talk about support but then pretty much ignore those days).
    Now a days I just try to live my own life. I love Christmas (i try to hold off on music till after Halloween to do anything as I have a short attention span and don’t want to exhaust my Christmas Spirit). One of my all time favorite movies is a Christmas movie and I could watch that everyday all year.

• anhistorianabouttown November 1, 2017 / 1:53 pm

It gets hard not to take it personally when you see the same posts over and over- human nature “helps” us to always apply it to ourselves. Realistically, there are people who choose to unwind in a myriad of legal and illegal ways that do actually harm health, so if my Christmas movies are the worst it gets, people can suck it haha. People will always find something to gripe about!! Thanks for stopping by 🙂 Its nice to meet a fellow holiday fan!