Gossip Girl- Get to Know Me, Part I

I’ve decided that for the rest of 2017, I’m going to try and share more of my own history. Favourites, memories, maybe even pictures from way back when! I think that as bloggers we tend to gravitate towards certain topics, leading to a slightly one and a half dimensional image. So, every few weeks I will share something that’s been with me for a while!… Everyone has those tv shows that come into their life at the perfect time, and stick with them. I hope that this doesn’t die out with the whole Netflix/ Amazon Prime/ streaming thing because I think that watching shows week by week cements it in your being. While I’ve talked about how much I love Gilmore Girls, there are a handful of other shows that I still love to watch and every few years I pull out the ol’ DVD’s and have a watch through! And this year, the watch through is Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl

You might not necessarily pair Gossip Girl with me, but I do love me some scripted drama with equally timeless and trendy fashion! Gossip Girl started it’s seven season run in September of 2007, when a young Historian started her university career- a time when she suddenly had more time on her hands, a lot of notes to re-copy, and a void to fill left by said Gilmore Girls. I wasn’t sure about this one, but I figured, hey, why not? And I was pretty much immediately sucked into the drama and mystery that is Gossip Girl. At the time Grey’s Anatomy ruled supreme but I’m a fairly squeamish person. (WHO THOUGHT AIRING A TRAIN CRASH THAT SHOVED A POLE THROUGH TWO PEOPLE WAS A GOOD IDEA? SERIOUSLY?!) The OC had also just finished it’s run, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the bizarrely outlandish feeling. (And they stole Dave Rygalski from Gilmore. No dice.) So, why do I love it?

Via Pinterest

The Fashion

Like many people with a sense of style that gravitates towards classic, I thoroughly enjoy Blair’s fashion! I think that people get a little ridiculous with the “I’m a Serena, I’m a Blair” bit but I do very much appreciate what Eric Daman (costume designer) brought to our small screens. As I get older, I am very quickly exhausted by the trends and fads that come in and out of style, and I reach for pieces that don’t have a date or period attached to them. While her overall look may be slightly younger, she has the best building blocks of a timeless wardrobe and I would still probably steal her closet, given the opportunity.

Via Pinterest

The Drama

Yes, I thoroughly enjoy reading historical theory and watching documentaries on the politics of Waterloo, but sometimes I just like letting go and not having to think overly hard. Some people read Harlequin romance novels, some people veg out on a beach, and some people watch trashy television. The lives of wealthy Upper East Siders is other worldly to me, so it’s pure escape. I also lead a super boring life, I always have. Don’t get me wrong, I love my life and I’m proud of everything that I’ve accomplished, but I’ve never been known as a particularly exciting or dramatic person. These people with their scandals and their money and their general craziness, it’s escapism at its finest!

Via Pinterest-
These ladies were persona non grata to each other to start with, it took time, like my love of tv shows.

The Slow Build

This is really a change in the medium of television- now we get 6-10 episode seasons where everything blasts past us, instead of a slow building season that progresses over 20-24 episodes that gives us a chance to learn to love the characters and become invested in the show. I wasn’t bowled over by Gossip Girl in the first episode, it probably took me a good four to five to really get hooked. I know that people will argue that with the advent of Netflix and Hulu originals that it forces writers to be succinct and to the point but it doesn’t leave me much time as a viewer to get comfortable with what I’m watching.

No, Gossip Girl didn’t change the world or make any huge difference, but in the ten years since it’s been released, it’s given me many an hour of relaxation and fun! Life gets crazy busy more often than not and sometimes you have to take a minute to appreciate the fun in the world! Ten years ago, Gossip Girl came to live on our screens, and it’s been one hell of a guilty pleasure. Vanity Fair has a great piece celebrating the 10th anniversary if you are curious!

Now I want to know- what tv show do you watch to escape and relax? Any and all are welcome!

27 thoughts on “Gossip Girl- Get to Know Me, Part I

1. Hannah September 20, 2017 / 2:27 am

I’ve never watched Gossip girl! I’ve heard lots about it though. At the moment my favourite TV show is Great British Bake Off now it’s on again. Otherwise I really like Call the Midwife and some of the Doctor Who’s 2005 to when Peter Capaldi took over – I don’t really like his ones.

• anhistorianabouttown September 20, 2017 / 8:01 pm

I do love the Great British Bake Off- any sort of baking competition sucks me in haha!! I haven’t been able to get into Doctor Who, much to the chagrin of my brother and brother in law, but I do enjoy Call the Midwife! (And Land Girls, which is in a similar vein 🙂 )

Liked by 2 people

2. gigglingfattie September 20, 2017 / 9:12 am

I never watched Gossip Girl while it was on tv, but I did watch the whole season about a year or so ago and I really enjoyed it!! Just not the last episode lol. It’s always the last episode that gets me, either in a good or a bad way. And I’ve got to say, finding out who Gossip Girl was kind of annoyed me. I don’t want to leave any spoilers for those who haven’t seen it, but I was not impressed haha

• anhistorianabouttown September 20, 2017 / 8:03 pm

UGH, I WAS SO ANGRY BY THE REVEAL. IT MADE LITERALLY *NO* SENSE. Other than that anger bomb, I actually really liked this finale!! Gossip Girl and Parks and Rec are the best series finales that I’ve seen, I think- wrapped up well without going overboard, which seems to happen a lot.

3. fattymccupcakes September 20, 2017 / 9:39 am

I was OBSESSED with Gossip Girl. And, I found it when I was A LOT older than you, so I am not sure what that says about me, but…I don’t even care. The drama was so, so good and I loved the fashion and that it was set in one of my favorite cities- NYC!

• anhistorianabouttown September 20, 2017 / 8:06 pm

Blair’s fashion is still fantastic, even ten years on!! After just finishing my rewatch, I think that the show definitely holds up. Yes, the technology and fashion is dated but overall, I think it’s amazing and I will die defending it!! Watching rich people get into crazy scrapes?? YES, PLEASE.

4. Trula Marie September 20, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Gossip Girl was completely underated but amazing to be honest. Though there are moments I argue with. Like who Gossip Girl was – not going to spoil it for anyone. It was just one of those things that when you looked back it was obvious BUT it didn’t make sense! Personally I agree with everyone who thought it was the other D.

• anhistorianabouttown September 20, 2017 / 8:08 pm

The other would have been PERFECT as Gossip Girl, and nothing would have seemed out of place if that had been GG! I hated pretty much everything with Jenny, not going to lie…

5. Becca Barracuda September 20, 2017 / 1:56 pm

Don’t be upset, but… I never got into Gilmore Girls. I even tried to watch it when they first announced the new season, but I never got sucked in. I also never got into Gossip Girl, but I have a reason for that one: I read the books! And I didn’t like how different the show was from the books. (Shocker.) Coincidentally, I was also just starting college when it first aired!

I loved the OC and One Tree Hill back in the day, and I was OBSESSED with Grey’s Anatomy (but only the early seasons). Now, I watch Friends basically on a loop, interspersed with whatever show the hubs and I are currently watching together (currently: Curb Your Enthusiasm) and whatever show I’m actually paying attention to (currently: Jane the Virgin).

• anhistorianabouttown September 20, 2017 / 8:00 pm

While I do love Gilmore Girls, I can totally see how people would not be feeling that vibe. I might love it, but I am the first to admit it’s faults!! It was just another show that came into my life at just the right time. I was the opposite with Gossip Girl- I read the first two after the first season and HATED them because they were so different from the book!
      I watched the first season of the OC and I think the first four of One Tree Hill- I much preferred OTH but it was super hard to find on Canadian stations. I would totally do a binge watch, but it’s not on Canadian Netflix! I also love Jane the Virgin 🙂 My current rewatches are Brooklyn Nine Nine (always on for me haha) and The IT Crowd!!

6. Susie September 20, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Oh my goodness, Gilmore Girls all the way! I can’t rewatch many things but can always rewatch Gilmore Girls.

• anhistorianabouttown September 20, 2017 / 8:00 pm

I am going to be a huge dork by saying this, but I’ve probably seen each season through 30+ times now *insert nervous laugh*

Liked by 2 people

7. Erk Bravo September 21, 2017 / 6:57 pm

Great read! Was always super into Blair’s wardrobe as well. Her home is a dream!

8. Blair (La vie en Rose Gold Blog/ TSLODM) September 22, 2017 / 10:04 pm

I’ve also found myself recently rewatching Gossip Girl, so I enjoyed reading your opinions on the different aspects on it. I always wished I had Blair’s wallet. Also I get your feelings on Grey’s. Ever since I saw that train episode I try to avoid trains!

• anhistorianabouttown September 27, 2017 / 8:15 am

It’s odd rewatching it now- I’m noticing so many things!! And her SLG are always AMAZING- her handbags and wallets are immaculate and suit every single outfit. That’s the dream!!

9. ellenbest24 September 23, 2017 / 6:33 am

I am not really a telly watcher as such but I like your blog and pleased to be #SocialSaturday with you.

10. hotmessmemoir September 23, 2017 / 7:50 am

I’ve watched EVERY SINGLE GOSSIP GIRL!!! I watched it religiously! When I was traveling for business 4 years ago, I even stayed at the hotel many of the scenes were filmed in for Chuck Bass and I even drank a Chuck Bass drink and like him, it was delicious! I think Gossip Girl is the only sitcom that has come remotely close to the fashion found on Sex and the City. Primarily because the costume designer was like an assistant or something for Sex and the City. He learned from the best. We can only pray that like Will and Grace coming on again next week, that Gossip Girl will come on again. They can call it Gossip Woman.

11. Lorna September 23, 2017 / 11:36 am

Never watched Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls is a recent love of mine. I watched Greys until they spoiled my favourite character, ha!

12. minamarini October 8, 2017 / 11:22 am

I LOVE Gossip Girl and also just published a post about my favourite TV shows of all time. 😀 Gossip Girl was my teenage go-to-TV show and I still love it! very nice post and have an amazing day 🙂 Marina