5 Things to Do In The Autumn

I know that seasonal bucket lists are a mainstay of lifestyle bloggers everywhere, and I try my hardest to make sure that my blog posts have something to offer, be it information, humour, or just an update. This is my last year left in Winnipeg before I leave, and I have some things that I want to do before I head off to the Pacific Northwest. So, this is my fall bucket list of everything to experience and enjoy, and hopefully share with you!

5 Things To Do In the Fall

1) Bake a pumpkin pie

If you know anything about me, you will know that I enjoy baking! Pumpkin pie is one of my favourite desserts in the world, and my goal is to actually make one this fall. I’ve never made a pie, and although it doesn’t seem to be the easiest pie to make, I’m going to do my best.  My hope is to make a pie and snag the seeds to roast, and maybe even carve the pumpkin if I’m really motivated! Many people love pumpkin spice lattes and everything else that comes with them, but I am not a coffee person, and I’m really just here for the pie. If you have a recipe that you would like to send my way, please do- pumpkin pie, muffins, loaf, whatever pumpkin recipes float your boat! (I don’t plan on making the crust from scratch because I’ve done it before and quite frankly gain no enjoyment from it….)

pumpkin-pie-520655_1920

2) Host a Bonfire

I actually love having bonfires, and living in the country with a fire pit I’m pretty much set for the perfect bonfire evening. However, I’m not always the best at making a plan and actually making it happen. Being a sorority advisor who deals with recruitment, my fall always starts off with an insanely busy September and life seems to get swept away. You have to hit that sweet spot where it’s chilly enough that sitting by the fire warms you up but not so cold that leaving the fire means you are absolutely frozen! Plus, roasting marshmallows and pumpkin seeds on the fire is a pretty delicious snack that just don’t taste the same when you try to replicate it somewhere else. I know that people will obsess over “leaf-peeping” and watching the leaves change- our leaves have already started changing here, and it will continue for a while, it doesn’t feel that special. However, the warm fire dancing while you smell the smoke and leaves and pumpkin? Very fall!

fire-2560427_1920

3) Read a Book Related to Halloween

I’m not going to lie, Halloween is a holiday that I could very easily pass by. I’m all about Christmas (my plans are already made)! Canadian Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October, and after that I’m gradually ramping up to a very Christmas-y December. I do love watching Hocus Pocus, but I’m going to take some time to enjoy reading something related to Halloween! Being that it’s the time of the year where everything cools off, and staying inside with a cozy blanket is the perfect afternoon, snuggling in with a book sounds like a pretty good afternoon or two. Maybe something to do with the history of the holiday, maybe something to do with witches, maybe a mystery based around Halloween. I will keep you updated!

halloween-1784570_1920

4) Go to the Corn Maze

This is a tradition that I’ve kept up for I think four years now- I adore going to the corn maze! I usually go with some of my Alpha Gam sisters, and I love having two or three hours to wander around in the dark mud trying to find our way through a maze cut like the constellations or some other theme chosen. Last year I’m fairly certain we felt half of the time just trying to dodge giant puddles and not take the same loop for the fifth time in a row, and it couldn’t have been a better time… I personally love starting when it’s light out and finishing when it’s dark. If you want to complete the whole day, you have to grab a hot chocolate and hang out around the fire and pumpkin patch afterwards to enjoy more time together. If you have a big group, you might want to break up into smaller groups and see who can find their way out first. In any case, it’s always the best time!

Corn Maze

5) A New Tradition?

This is where all of you come in- I’d like to start a new fall tradition that I can do every year no matter where I am! Do you have a certain recipe to make, book to read, movie to watch? Do you hibernate for a weekend and emerge with crunchy leaves for hair and pumpkins for hands? Please tell me your favourite things to do in fall and favourite traditions!

20 thoughts on “5 Things to Do In The Autumn

1. Hannah September 3, 2017 / 4:12 am

You know what, I didn’t even know there were many books that were set at Halloween! I really want a bonfire too. I’ve only ever had them once so I don’t know why I’m craving them, but I really want smores!

That corn maze sounds like so much fun 🙂 I always look forward to bonfire night here and seeing some fireworks! But ever since I went to the London New Years Fireworks a couple of years ago no fireworks have ever lived up to it!

• anhistorianabouttown September 5, 2017 / 7:57 am

I don’t know if there are but I’m hoping there’s at least a few books haha! And s’mores are the best- it took some creative sourcing when I lived in Ireland but I usually have some every few months 😍😍

We usually don’t have fireworks with a bonfire 😯 That would make it so much more fun!! Not that bonfires aren’t already fun but that would be awesome 😍

2. Kelsey September 3, 2017 / 7:24 am

I know this is regionally/geographically specific, but I love going apple picking. It makes baking all things apple so much more rewarding when I’ve picked the fruit myself! Last year I tried making applesauce in my crock pot, and while it came out okay, I’m going to keep trying it to make it better. I also love making apple crisp pie – an apple pie with an apple crisp strudel topping. Happy autumn! 🙂

3. thebeasley September 3, 2017 / 8:25 am

Me & my girl traditionally watch the Shrek Halloween DVD every year. Also, it’s beautiful in Yorkshire during Autumn, so a walk in the woods somewhere to admire the pretty leaves is a must. I bloody love Autumn.

• anhistorianabouttown September 5, 2017 / 7:58 am

Oooo the Shrek Halloween movie is a good call- I could gather some shorter Halloween shows and do an evening marathon! And Yorkshire was gorgeous when I was there in the spring, I can only imagine autumn 😍😍😍

4. Parul Thakur September 3, 2017 / 9:03 am

The fall is the start of festivals in India so I can suggest cleaning and organising. Though I am not very interested in those activities, I love the happiness that comes with the many Indian festivals.
    Loved your post. I would love to taste a pie and go to a corn field. I recently roasted marshmallows with an American family and you are right that with a cracker, it was a delicious snack 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown September 5, 2017 / 8:03 am

I love the idea of making autumn a time for cleaning- doing big cleans are difficult here in the winter with the extreme temperatures, so autumn is perfect! And Indian festivals really are full of happiness, I’ve only attended two but there is so much joy and energy 😊

5. Susie September 3, 2017 / 12:20 pm

I’m not ready for summer to be over yet but I love fall! I’m definitely a pumpkin person and love making trips to apple orchards (there are some beautiful ones in the PNW and I’m thinking about heading up to Wisconsin this year). Also, I didn’t realize you were moving to the PNW so soon–exciting!

• anhistorianabouttown September 5, 2017 / 8:05 am

People here in Winnipeg may have AN apple tree or two, our climate isn’t great for it- I’m hoping that once I move I can really get into apple picking. (Pumpkin picking is way harder than it looks, they are so heavy!) Today is our first truly cold day, only 6°C right now, and I’M SO EXCITED 😍😍😍

6. gigglingfattie September 3, 2017 / 1:38 pm

Omg I love fall activities! Especially hiking!! Great exercise and great pictures!

7. Channon Gray September 3, 2017 / 4:31 pm

I absolutely love autumn and I cannot think of anything better than toasting marshmallows over a camp fire. YES!!!!!

8. WholisticallyHannah September 12, 2017 / 3:50 pm

I love September. Fall is probably my favourite season! Baking pumpkin pie and going to a corn maze or pumpkin patch are absolute musts!

9. WholisticallyHannah September 14, 2017 / 8:37 am

I’m going to be experimenting with a few healthy pumpkin pie recipes over the next few weeks, and will post the winner on my blog! ☺️🍁🎃🍂