Living That Tea Life

I think all of us have seen the million memes, instagram posts, and t-shirts with “But coffee first.” While I think we can appreciate the sentiment, there are a whole lot of us who don’t drink coffee. If my option is coffee or water, it’s always water. I’m a tea drinker, through and through from start to finish. The world is becoming more tea friendly as the years pass, but we’ve yet to get our tea shops where you can order any sort of tea concoction to go on our way to work. So, today I’m sharing my favourite teas and tea accessories to hopefully bring tea out into the mainstream!

Living That Tea Life

Okay, so most people who have come across tea think of the cheapo teabags from the grocery store (200 teabags for $5 deal) that your grandparents may have given you at some point. However, that’s just the tip of the tea-berg! While the comfort of Red Rose/Twinings/Liptons still holds true for many of us tea connoisseurs, we still have varied and ever growing tea collections that would blow your mind.

The Tea

Loose Leaf Tea

I fully admit that I have a tea problem- I drink anywhere from one to two and a half litres a day of tea. Some back tea, some rooibos, and even herbal- most of it is loose leaf tea. The cheaper tea bags are often what is left over from loose leaf tea, still delicious but not necessarily the best. Loose leaf tea tends to be a higher quality! I have two go-to suppliers: David’s Tea and Fortnum and Mason.

Tea tins

Many people will pooh-pooh at David’s for added flavours, but I love it. Vanilla and peppermint are my two favourite flavours, and Santa’s Secret has both vanilla and peppermint. They also make such creations as Magic Potion tea (on my Instagram last week), which changes from a deep blue to bright purple when lemon juice is added! David’s does have “regular” blends but I get my standard teas from Fortnum and Mason. Located just down the street from Picadilly Circus, Fortnum’s tea is slightly on the expensive side (though not as much as you think) but is amazing quality with the most beautiful tea caddies. I am truly lucky, as several people have stopped there for me on their travels and grabbed me several different varieties!

The Steepers

Silicone steeper

Tea steepers

Loose leaf tea might seem more complicated than regular ol’ tea bags but I promise it’s not! You can get tea satchels that you can fill yourself from David’s Tea, but if you are feeling pretty competent with your hand-eye coordination, grab a steeper! Many of David’s mugs (and other companies) come with steepers that fit perfectly into the mug, that even have a base to set it on after you are done steeping. Small, big, metal, silicone, the options are endless. Many travel mugs will also have built in steepers for maximum efficiency. (I even have one that is shaped like a squirrel at work- if I remember to, I will share it on Instagram this week!)

David's Tea Perfect Spoon

Also included, a Perfect Spoon! This is approximtely 1 1/2 tsp of tea, the perfect amount for a standard cup of loose leaf! (Most people recommend using double that for iced tea, but I just steep one spoonful for a little bit longer.)

The Mugs

Ahhhhh, my mug collection is out of control and I am not ashamed to admit it! Tea should never be served from a mug that has also served coffee- they will hold the taste of the coffee which can affect the taste of your tea. These aren’t all of my mugs but rather three types of tea specific mugs.

David's Tea Iced Tea Press

My David’s iced tea press is specifically made for iced tea! The loose tea goes in the outer cylinder to steep; when ready, you fit the inner cylinder full of ice in. The hot tea melts the ice, the filter below keeps the loose tea contained, and we all win! This was a steal in the recent David’s sale, as it’s regularly $30 CAD and I was able to grab it for only $9.

Davids Tea Travel Mug and Steeper

This is travel mug with both a built in steeper, and a compartment to store your tea once it’s done steeping- if this isn’t genius, I don’t know what is. It will also keep your tea steaming hot for at least 6 hours! (I will update this if I end up waiting longer to drink my tea…)

David's Tea Nutcracker Mug and Steeper

And the classic Nordic mug- holding 473ml (aka 16 oz), this is bigger than a lot of regular mugs. I am particularly partial to this mug specifically given it’s Nutcracker design. I know it’s August, but I use it year round!!

Are you a tea drinker? What is your favourite blend?

24 thoughts on “Living That Tea Life

1. Hannah August 13, 2017 / 3:47 am

Some of those cups are so cute. I’ve never gone for the loose tea option, I really want to one day for some fruit tea but haven’t yet. I drink 2-3 cups of English breakfast tea every day and on occasions I’ll have a fruit tea. Currently in my fruit tea collection are: Strawberry and Mango, Cranberry and Raspberry, Honey and Vanilla (this one is quite disappointing as it has liquorice in too which ruins the taste) and rhubarb and apple (this one is sooooo sweet you have you really be in the mood for it). Sometimes I find the fruit tea a bit disappointing as it never tastes of what it should 😦 but the Rhubarb one does actually taste like rhubarb. I’ve realised today that Tetley tea in the UK has started selling chocolate mint flavour tea and cookies and cream tea. I think I’m going to see if they have any when I go to the shop this week! But I like you am not a coffee drinker. I can just about tolerate vanilla latte and I’ve recently tried Mocha but they can make me feel sick 😦

• anhistorianabouttown August 13, 2017 / 8:04 am

I was super hesitant to drink herbal tea for the longest time, but I wanted something completely caffeine free so I finally gave in- I slowly figured out that while the strawberries taste one way when you eat them, they have a different tea taste! Now I enjoy the tea taste as much as the regular for most fruits, but it took a bit to get there 😊
      I have a chocolate mint tea that is amazing, I would drink BUCKETS of it if I could! And while licorice in tea is NOT my cup of tea AT ALL (pun intended), it does settle an upset stomach very quickly! If I do have to drink it, I usually will literally chug it down 😢

2. thebeasley August 13, 2017 / 9:16 am

I’m all about tea here too. I’ve always said the only stereotype about the British that is actually true, is that we drink a lot tea. It’s more of a ritual for us than just a hot drink. Anyway, have you tried Teapig tea? So, so lovely, but a tad pricey.

• anhistorianabouttown August 13, 2017 / 4:50 pm

It’s very much a morning and evening ritual for me!! And I haven’t been able to try Teapigs yet, but I do plan to do an order in the fall- any recommendations??

• thebeasley August 13, 2017 / 5:00 pm

I’m all about the green tea & jasmine or chamomile or peppermint. They also do a chocolate tea, which I’m yet to try, but sounds lush.

3. pinkiebag August 13, 2017 / 12:19 pm

I’m a tea person as well or water, my two favourite drinks. I love F & M tea.

4. Gabe Burkhardt August 13, 2017 / 12:47 pm

As I read through your wonderful post, I couldn’t help but recall a popular book called “the history of the world in 6 glasses.” I’m sure an authentic historian such as yourself would probably cringe at the reference, but still, tea really has provided a profound impact on our culture.

And I’m not just saying this because I’m a tea guy too πŸ˜‰

• anhistorianabouttown August 13, 2017 / 5:49 pm

I’m actually waiting for that particular book from the library- other historians may turn up their noses but I’m all for pop histories 😁 Tea has actually had such a large impact on the world’s development, even just looking at black tea – I think the argument could made that tea rules the world 😎

5. gigglingfattie August 13, 2017 / 1:23 pm

I like tea! I love coffee, but I also really like tea. I’m more of a traditionalist when it comes to tea, the simple ones are my favourite: earl grey, peppermint, just black. I do love pomegranate white from Tim Hortons. A few years ago, the grocery store I worked in had its own label loose leaf roobios tea which I ADORED! But then they discontinued it and I am forever heart broken.

• anhistorianabouttown August 13, 2017 / 5:54 pm

I love a good breakfast tea, particularly Irish blends. While I do enjoy a fancy, flavoured tea, a good peppermint is my go-to after about 1pm! Was it a plain rooibos??

• gigglingfattie August 13, 2017 / 6:12 pm

Im not sure what kind it was. It’s been about 8 years since they discontinued it. And I still miss it πŸ˜₯

• gigglingfattie August 13, 2017 / 7:57 pm

I had no warning! I was able to get a tin or two but that was it 😦

• anhistorianabouttown August 16, 2017 / 8:45 pm

I always seem to have warning, but that means I have 100-150g of that tea, on top of the other 2kg of tea I already have :s I had to stop stocking up!!

6. josypheen August 13, 2017 / 9:31 pm

I love a good cuppa!

I really liked loose leaf tea and trying new types, but I am also very partial to the cheap, but joyous yorkshire tea. Sigh.

7. Pam Avoledo August 13, 2017 / 10:57 pm

I prefer tea over coffee myself. Coffee has always been bitter to me. However, tea has a comforting taste, to me.

• anhistorianabouttown August 16, 2017 / 8:44 pm

I find coffee incredibly bitter 😦 I don’t put sugar or sweetener in my tea, and I wouldn’t want to have to put it into coffee to make it palatable. There are so many varie-teas with tea (pun, haha!) that you can always find something!

8. Dork August 15, 2017 / 8:11 am

Nice post! I drink coffee to wake up, but I drink tea to enjoy it. You’re right about loose leaf – it’s better quality and not that much more work. Besides, the tea I like is near impossible to get in bags. I’m really into black and green varieties: Lapsang Souchong, Irish Breakfast, Orange Pekoe, Gunpowder, Genmaicha, that sort of thing.

• anhistorianabouttown August 16, 2017 / 8:41 pm

I do love Irish Breakfast and Orange Pekoe! I can’t drink green tea (the tannins mess with my sinuses), but I will drink pretty much anything other than green/matcha. I will do a 30 second rinse for black teas so I can still enjoy them in the evening without the caffeine πŸ™‚