How to Quit Drinking Pop

So, I’m doing my best to avoid drinking pop (aka soda… aka carbonated beverages…) currently, in my bid to take better care of myself and focus on my health. It’s tough because I do love Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke (and Cherry Vanilla Coke) but I limit myself to when I go out for dinner, which isn’t very often. I don’t drink it that often but I do have patterns that I drink it with certain meals- it’s a harder habit to break than I thought it would be. It turns out, I’ve had to be more creative than I thought with how I’m approaching it…

How To Quit Pop

Going Cold Turkey

Luckily I’m not overly addicted to pop, so cutting it out completely doesn’t leave me shaking with a pounding head. It’s slightly difficult to resist when everyone around me is drinking pop, but I’ve decided to commit to this and I need to do it. (Those damn Coke machines will be the death of me- a million flavours of Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, and anything else you can imagine in the world. Why??) Turns out that I do have to make sure I have some sort of beverage on hand, because just sitting awkwardly while other people drink pop while I want to is kind of difficult on my brain. It’s usually water but I have to have something.

wp-1494016235612.jpg

New Water Bottle

While I do drink a decent amount of water, I did get a new water bottle to encourage myself to drink more. I considered getting a S’Well but the couple that I would have chosen are pretty common in my gym and dance classes and there is a good likelihood that I would end up with someone else’s. I went with one from the Alpha Gam Boutique, it’s perfect as it’s inexpensive and the mouth of the bottle is wide enough to add fruit if I’m jonesing for more flavour.

Berries

Fruit and Tea

I have to give a long round of applause for those people who can only drink water. While I do drink a good amount, I usually break down for some sort of taste after a while. Because it’s the summer, I like to do a nice iced tea! I usually do La La Lemon from David’s Tea- it’s black tea with lemon, very refreshing and simple. If I’m being super fancy, I will add lemon slices to jazz it up. I also like to throw fruit and herbs into my water! Strawberry and mint is a super easy combo, you really only need to let it sit for half an hour. I plan on branching out this summer, it’s time to bring out the watermelon and cucumber and basil and see what creations come of it. I also love infused water because it’s really easy to make at work!

Have you tried to give up pop? What helped you quit it?

10 thoughts on “How to Quit Drinking Pop

1. Fitness and Fueling May 8, 2017 / 1:25 am

Yes Yes Yes, great idea. I stopped drinking soda or pop years ago. I occasionally have one about once a month. It is just empty calories, but none the less a hard habit to break.

2. Hannah May 8, 2017 / 1:34 am

I’m like you said, I don’t drink it that often. It’s only when going out for dinner I tend to get fizzy drink. I’m not sure I could give it up totally in the fact that when you go out for dinner it’s basically what I think to have (like you said those machines that do the vanilla and cherry coke!- mmmmm), plus here unless you go for tap water everything else is quite expensive. I’m not sure I could get rid of it totally from my life! Especially now they’ve brought vanilla coke back here in the UK really recently!

3. Beauty and The Ballroom May 8, 2017 / 5:02 am

Luckily for me I don’t drink a lot of it anyway, if I do, it’s not usually a lot! My husband however drinks copious amounts of Diet Coke and he’s been told to cut down…mostly due to the caffeine intake. He has tried to just stop drinking it before but that doesn’t last long! Reducing it has worked before but when there’s always offers in shops for 2 bottles for £x then the temptation is there to buy more…which he does! It’s a tough one to crack I think! Great post x

• anhistorianabouttown May 17, 2017 / 10:22 pm

Thank you!! I can’t do the aspartame in diet drinks (I get a whopping headache 😓) but I don’t know if they are any better at the end of the day. However, as someone who takes in a ton of caffeine from black and p’uerh teas, I’m not one to talk!!! 😂

4. First Night Design May 8, 2017 / 5:58 am

I’m desperately trying to do the same! I used to hate Coke and only drank water. Now I seem to be hugely addicted. I tried coconut water yesterday but it barely tastes of anything so I went back to coke. Next up is cold green tea. Wish me luck!

• anhistorianabouttown May 17, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Let me know if it works! I’ve been making iced black and herbal teas a ton in the last few weeks and it IS helping!

5. fattymccupcakes May 8, 2017 / 9:56 am

I am trying to quit soda, too. Like you, I would only drink it when I went out for lunch or dinner. Since that is a lot, I drank a fair amount of soda. For me, iced tea with Splenda helps me curb my cravings when I am out. Also, water is free, so I remind myself that I am saving money by not getting drink!

• anhistorianabouttown May 17, 2017 / 10:20 pm

If I’m being really crazy, sometimes I will get Perrier- a little fizz with a slice of lemon and I don’t even notice the difference. I’ve cracked twice but for only half a cup each time :/