Quick Question, 18 April 2017

Hello, all! I hope that you had a lovely Easter weekend and that you are having a great week. We are over halfway done April, which seems a little astounding to me…

This week’s Quick Question is purely to satisfy my curiousity: if you could talk a walk with any real historical figure, who would it be? My top three (because you can’t expect a historian to narrow down any further) would be Queen Mary (consort to King George V), Phyllis Bedells (one of the founding members of the Royal Academy of Dance), and Mary, Queen of Scots! While they each lived very different lives, I think that each would be fascinating.

Mary, Queen of Scots.JPG

Who would you go on a walk with?

7 thoughts on “Quick Question, 18 April 2017

1. Victoria April 18, 2017 / 6:13 am

At first this was a really difficult question to answer because I thought I couldn’t come up with three, now I can’t narrow it down to three…
    Number one without question is Anne Boleyn, don’t know why but I have always been fascinated by her. Number two would be Marie Antoinette and number three would be probably Cleopatra… They’re all Queens which feels a little weird but I really like controversial historical figures so I guess I’d love to chat with them to get the truth on them, what they were really like. Great question though!

• anhistorianabouttown April 18, 2017 / 7:33 am

Even though I still partially blame her for Henry’s demise (shared by her family, the schemers!!), I would love to hear from Anne herself. I’m sure historians have misinterpreted quite a few of her actions, and I would love to hear it from the source!
      Marie Antoinette would also be fascinating! I think I should like to speak with her closer to the beginning of the reign, see if she really started out as the simple girl people claim!! ☺

• Victoria April 18, 2017 / 7:52 am

Oh for sure! These are women whose entire stories are so interwoven with their context and with the people who wanted to portray them one way or the other. Hearing the story from the horses mouth would be so interesting. I often wonder if they had as much agency as we now assume they did or if they were maybe even more devious than we give them credit for 🙂

2. Katelynne April 21, 2017 / 6:28 am

This was harder than I thought it would be! But I think I would have to go with Joan of Arc, Cleopatra, and Theodore Roosevelt (I’m reading a biography of him right now and he seems like a larger than life kind of person).

• anhistorianabouttown April 25, 2017 / 6:33 pm

I love The Rex Factory podcast that goes through the reigns of all English monarchs and compares them (on such things as “battle-y-ness”)- I feel like there needs to be a US President version so the rest of us can get to know the Presidents!!

3. Charlotte Graham April 22, 2017 / 7:00 pm

I am going to echo a previous comment and say Anne Boleyn! I have always been fascinated by her life and her impact on the monarchy’s history.

• anhistorianabouttown April 25, 2017 / 6:32 pm

She changed the course of history, one woman. While I’m not a fan of her (whhhhhhhhhhyyyy) I think she would be fascinating to talk to !!