As you will know from my Snapshot Saturday post last week, I recently purchased the most wonderful cookie cutters from The Gingerbread Cutter Company on Etsy! I still love them, they make a very clean cut and they are easy on your hands- metal cutters will often get harder to use when you are making double and triple batches, but the plastic eliminates that issue. Linda was kind enough to also provide recipes with the cookie cutters, so I decided to give the sugar cookie recipe a try!
No-Chill Sugar Cookie Recipe
-1 cup cold butter
-1 cup sugar
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla
-3 cups flour
-2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer; beat in egg and vanilla.
4. Add flour mixture one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. The dough will be very stiff.
5. Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll out dough on well-floured surgace or parchment paper 1/4 inch thick.
6. Cut with cookie cutters into desired shapes; place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until slightly browned.
8. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
This is a fairly regular sugar cookie recipe, nothing stands out as terribly different to me! It was easy enough to make, and a good “entry level” recipe for novice bakers.
Things I Would Change
– I would cut the flour to 2 1/3 cups instead of 3 cups. Overall, the dough was quite dry- I added roughly 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, which made it easier to work with. However, you could avoid that by simply reducing the flour. It’s always easier to reduce the flour and add more if you need to!
I used the westie cookie cutter, and they are just adorable. Linda does a fantastic job when you order from her- the cutters are good quality, she includes extras like recipes (not so common), the packaging was excellent, and there is a coupon code for me to use on my next order! I’m excited to try the gingerbread recipe when it comes closer to Christmas, and I may be ordering some cookie cutters to give as gifts.
What is your favourite Etsy store?