Style File Friday- BareMinerals and Urban Decay Palettes!

I know that for most people buying make up isn’t an ordeal. From what I understand, it’s even enjoyable. However, while I feel entirely comfortable in the realm of style with fabrics, cuts, care, and pairing, I am quite overwhelmed by make up. I don’t know what each product is specifically supposed to do, and I find the price tag even more startling when I don’t understand why I need it in the first place. So, the fact that from January 1, 2017 to today I went from zero palettes to two palettes is astonishing. I’ve not had them too-too long, but here are my first thoughts!

Kayla, my good friend from work, has been instrumental in my make up education! She just gets make up- she can watch a tutorial and know how to adjust it for herself, and has more palettes than I could ever imagine.

It simply boggles my mind that she can look at each of these palettes and know exactly what types of looks could come from them. I decided back in the summer that I wanted to change that- I wanted to get to know make up! I started out with the Blushed Nudes palette from Maybelline which I picked up in the summer for the Barre After Hours event I attended. It was $18 at Shoppers, and I was a little iffy on paying that. However, I quickly began to understand the benefit of a palette- once you understand how to make a general look, a palette of similar colours will allow for countless combinations. I love light pink eye shadows, it suits my pallor well.

Palettes

Fast forward to the fall, and I was very interested in the Naked3 palette- I was starting to understand the difference in quality between drugstore and non-drugstore make up (is there a term for non-drugstore make up??), but I honestly still couldn’t fathom shelling out $66 CAD (with taxes $75 CAD) for an eye shadow palette. I received a gift card for Christmas and I decided (after trying two terrible [for me] moisturisers) that I would finally invest in a palette. Enter: the BareMinerals Be Beautiful Palette!

be beautiful palette exterior

be beautiful shadows

The picture that Sephora has is mis-leading (as I’ve learned from Kayla is often the case)- my picture is much closer to the true colours, it is less pink. I’ve found that it is perfect for stage make up for dance- while stage make up is it’s entire own thing (which I can do… go figure…), this palette layers perfectly and has everything you would need in one palette. For only $40 CAD, it is the perfect travel palette! The only negative for this palette is that the finishing powder isn’t great, but I already have a Covergirl powder that works perfectly. I’ve been enjoying using the lighter blush as an eye shadow for a deeper look!

Naked3 exterior

March 2017- I have been collecting Shoppers Optimum Points for roughly six months and $30 of rewards were waiting for me. I’d been considering the Naked3 for months now, and I decided to finally pull the plug and get it! Only one Shoppers in Winnipeg carries Urban Decay, so I made my way there, grabbed the only Naked3 left, and paid $36 ($44 CAD with taxes) for it. I’ve only had it a week now but I absolutely love it! I’ve used it a few times now, and I can see the difference between this palette and the Maybelline dupe- the powder is smooth, pigmented, and has barely any kick up. It also came with a gorgeous brush that I’m loving using. I’ve noticed that some people complain that they can’t make several distinct looks with it but I don’t want or need that, it’s the perfect palette for me. Once I become more adept, I might post a look here in a few Fridays!

Naked3 shadows

Something that I love about these palettes is that each shade is named right there. I am not sure if this is true of most “proper” palettes (non drugstore) but it is very helpful for someone like me following tutorials. Both are wonderful quality, and I’m slowly feeling like I’m getting more comfortable in my make up-ing.

What are your favourite tutorials and make up tips? Any favourite beauty items that I must know about?

16 thoughts on “Style File Friday- BareMinerals and Urban Decay Palettes!

1. Trula Marie March 17, 2017 / 3:38 am

The term you are looking for is professional. Basically that’s how everyone refers to it. I’m glad you’re loving your Bare Minerals palette too! Trust me the finishing powder isn’t exactly finishing powder ever in their palettes – personal #unpopularopinion. It’s better to use it to set your eyeshadow primer if you’re actually going to set it.

Also yay for your second palette! Look into getting some NYX Cosmetic palettes. They have some are that are called the Beauty School Dropout palettes. They come with not only a ton of eye shadow colors, but some come with lip, contour, and blush as well.

• anhistorianabouttown March 17, 2017 / 8:03 am

Are all non-drugstore brands referred to as professional?? I know that some brands are actually geared towards make up artists (I think Make Up For Ever is one of them??), but I wasn’t sure if referring to brands like Urban Decay as professional is the right terminology! #imlearning!! The finishing powder was kind of whatever for me, I don’t think I would ever buy a palette specifically for it, but I will keep that in mind for future purchases! I do very much enjoy the eye shadow, so I would probably get a strictly shadow palette from BareMinerals next!

I have a few NYX products, and I do like them! They are good products for the price, and I appreciate the straight forward packaging. I’m thinking of trying the Go-To Palette in Wanderlust- it might be good for travel because it’s so small!

• Trula Marie March 17, 2017 / 8:08 am

Basically professional usually just references high-end makeup. So generally anything upwards of $30. And that includes taxes lol

And they’re palettes are amazing but I definitely suggest investing in an eyeshadow primer for NXY. Last time I didn’t, my color literally smudged like crazy.

• Trula Marie March 17, 2017 / 9:00 am

Yes. The different types of products require different kinds of bases. Plus there’s a major difference between the skin that is your eyelid and the rest of your face. The skin there has a tendency to be thinner among other things as well as a completely different texture.

• Trula Marie March 17, 2017 / 9:00 am

And there are no stupid questions with makeup.

• Charlotte Graham March 17, 2017 / 6:39 pm

I’ve been wondering the same thing – Thank you, Trula Marie! 🙂

2. brushyneedle March 17, 2017 / 6:32 pm

I think ‘non-drugstore’ products are called ‘high-end’ products 🙂 But your pictures are beautiful and these palettes are gorgeous!

• anhistorianabouttown March 17, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Aww, thank you so much!! I’m still mucking about with them but my goal is to be proficient by the summer 🙂 Thank you for stopping by!

• brushyneedle March 17, 2017 / 6:35 pm

I’m sure you will be! You start with one palette and then you can’t stop getting more and more haha!

3. Charlotte Graham March 17, 2017 / 6:45 pm

I am so glad you posted this! You and I are quite similar. I do wear makeup, but I know what I love and I stick to the basics. So learning anything new about it, or purchasing new makeup (especially non-drug store makeup) is very daunting for me. I currently own a single eye shadow palette, which I purchased at Ulta last year. I believe it’s by Lorac, and I quite like it, except for the fact that the powder will fall fairly easily when I am brushing it onto my lids, causing it to fall on my cheeks. I guess I need to learn better technique, haha!

4. namasteinscrubs March 19, 2017 / 11:36 am

I loved the Naked palettes, & even own all of them; however, after much use, I’ve learned that they’re very overrated. I think that they’re so thick, that they actually make my eyelids feel heavy– not the most comfortable feeling in the world. I’ve found that with a thinner/moisturizing eyeshadow primer, the naked palettes are more bearable. My favorite primer is Too Faced, & my favorite eyeshadow is by Clinique. I’ve heard good things about Too Faced’s Chocolate Bars, too. 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown March 21, 2017 / 8:02 am

I’ve found that I like the thickness- I don’t get the heavy feeling and there is good stay. However, I ADORE Clinique eyeshadow! I’ve owned three of the duos, and I wish they would do an eyeshadow palette like this, for better value. Kayla (the friend from above) has several of the Chocolate Bar palettes, they seem to be quite hit and miss. However, if any ever go on sale, I would love to try them!!! 😀

5. fattymccupcakes March 20, 2017 / 9:26 pm

I’m glad you finally took the plunge. I’m a huge cheapskate, but I don’t skimp on my eyeshadows. Professional eyeshadows truly are lightyears ahead of drugstore dupes. I once bought a mini E.L.F. palette, because I was concerned how my Naked palette would travel, and it was absolute CRAP! I don’t even think it was pigmented! 👎

• anhistorianabouttown March 21, 2017 / 8:05 am

I like E.L.F. brushes and make up wipes, but I’ve found their products to be otherwise poor quality. If you can buy an eyeshadow for $3 CAD, you probably SHOULD be suspicious… I know some people have the talent to make meh products work but I don’t have the skills or patience! 😂 I found the Maybelline Blushed Nudes palette okay now that I have the real for comparison, and I would probably throw it in for travel if I don’t have anything I have to look amaaaaazing for!