Style File Friday- Finding Your Fragrance

Today’s Style File Friday is about fragrance- I think that some people hate perfumes, some people love perfumes, some people just don’t understand perfumes. I was one of those people that was incredibly hesitant to try and find a scent for myself. Every time I walked near the perfume wall in Sephora or the counter in the Bay, I was either spritzed with a smell I had no interest in, or there was nothing that stood out to me. These are some tips to help you find your own scent in a relatively painless process!

How to Find Your Fragrance.jpg

1) Ignore the Bottles

You will notice from the first second that you start looking at perfume that bottles can come in any number of colours, shapes, and sizes. They can have luxurious wrappings, elaborate boxes, and any adornment that you can imagine. However, the most gorgeous bottle might hold a scent that does absolutely nothing for you, or even works against your skin chemistry. Ignore the bottles and whether or not it is Instagrammable- focus on the actual scents and how they work for you.

2) Keep An Open Mind

I went in to my scent-venture (yup, that’s my new word- take it or leave it) convinced that I would love the Burberry scents because I’m a huge fan of the brand. And the first few times I would only smell their scents. Which is a shame… because they smell awful on me. Like, comically terrible. I wasted two, possibly three expeditions wasting my time on scents that wouldn’t work with me no matter what. Don’t head straight for Chanel because your favourite actress wears it, or for Tory Burch because you love her shoes- consider everything!

s1237452-main-lhero

3) Understand the Basics

Understanding the basics of the science of perfume can make a big difference, and will help you when you are going to look for your next scent. Sillage? The amount of “throw” your perfume has, or how easily someone can smell it. Notes? All of the individual scents that comprise your scent. Katelynne has a fantastic Perfume Primer post that can help you understand the basics! If you can give the sales associates more specifics on what you like and don’t like, it can help them narrow down which scents to pursue and recommend for you.

4) Use Rollerballs as a Test

A rollerball typically sets you back $20-35 dollars, so not necessarily the cheapest test you’ve ever done, but this will allow you to test out a scent if you are interested in it. Sure, you can try and snag magazine samples if they happen to be available, but those typically only allow for 1-2 wears. I like to pick up a rollerball, and try it out six or seven times if I’m on the fence about a scent. I have a few friends that prefer different scents from me that I can give them to if I don’t like them in the end, I’ve received a few favourites of mine that someone else decided wasn’t for them this way.

What are your favourite scents?

8 thoughts on “Style File Friday- Finding Your Fragrance

1. Charlotte Graham February 24, 2017 / 8:08 pm

My favorite perfume is a French fragrance called bois d’orange. As far as I am aware, it is only sold in France, so I generally only buy it when I am over there, since shipping costs a lot. What I love about it is that, unlike many fragrances I’ve tried over the years, it is not overwhelming. I’ve got sensitive skin, so I have to be careful with anything scented I wear.

• anhistorianabouttown February 25, 2017 / 10:28 pm

The wrong perfume can leave me with hives, so I pay very close attention to what notes are in which scents!! I prefer those that are 95% smelt by only me- I don’t need a ton of throw. Some perfumes are so overwhelming!!

• Charlotte Graham February 26, 2017 / 9:00 am

Yessss! Like I hate it when I step onto an elevator and there’s clearly been someone on there who was wearing a very loud fragrance.

2. fattymccupcakes February 25, 2017 / 6:51 pm

This was super interesting and informative! I wish I could enjoy wearing and trying out perfume more-perfume can trigger a migraine 👎. I’M SO BUMMED.

• anhistorianabouttown February 25, 2017 / 10:26 pm

It took a while of me barely trying scents to identify which notes can trigger a migraine for me, but I can totally understand it not being worth it! My migraines are typically triggered by changes in pressure and it can cripple me to the floor in less than an hour 😢

• fattymccupcakes February 26, 2017 / 12:00 am

Oh man!! Like weather? My migraines, if not stopped by medication, leave me in bed for hours. It sucks! That’s great you discovered the scents that work for you!

• anhistorianabouttown February 26, 2017 / 7:37 am

Yeah, it is typically when barometric pressure suddenly drops. I have about a 30 minute window to chug some coke and take an Aleve to keep it somewhat manageable. (The caffeine in the coke opens the blood vessels in your head up enough to hold it at bay until the Aleve works!) And that doesn’t always work, depending on the weather

• fattymccupcakes February 26, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Yup! Same with me! Strong coffee can help too!