A Book For…

I’ve got a bit of a reading problem. Okay, perhaps not a problem, but an addiction. I still might not be helping myself here. In any case, I have read more than my fair share of books. You can read them or listen to them, you can binge on books the same you binge on Netflix, and they are free with a public library card! While I do get into grooves and stick to the same genre for a bit, I’ve read fairly widely and today I’m going be sharing my bookish wisdom and recommendations for a variety of readers and moods!

A Book For… When You Want to Laugh Out Loud and Have Some Empathy

Hyperbole and a Half

Hyperbole and A HalfAllie Brosh

For anyone who doesn’t know who Allie is, she is the creator of Hyperbole and A Half, a blog! This book is a compilation of many of her blog posts, plus a few more stories. Allie does cover many exaggerated but hilarious stories; however, she also addresses the topic of mental health and depression. This book is perfect for really anyone- it doesn’t target any one gender, generation, or group, the illustrations are simplistically amazing, and you will feel like you’ve learned a lot when you’ve finished when you may in fact have laughed at a doped up kid yelling “Parp!”

A Book For… When You Want to Believe in Magic

The Book of Tomorrow

The Book of Tomorrow, Cecelia Ahern

The Book of Tomorrow is one of Cecelia Ahern’s lesser known works, but is no less wonderful than the others. A teenager is forced to leave Dublin and live with family in the Irish countryside with little to entertain her. She finds leather-bound book in a travelling library that holds something inside that will change her life. Cecelia’s earlier books tend to have a hint of magic in them. Not Harry Potter style magic, but rather a quiet and loving magic that reminds us that sometimes the universe has something in store for us! It is not a thriller or a suspense novel filled with twists and turns, but rather a slow build of a story that will keep you wanting more- a fantastic piece of fiction that will make you stop and smile!

A Book For…When You Want to Escape to Another Time

Georgian London Into the Streets

Georgian London: Into the Streets, Lucy Inglis

Georgian London is a particularly interesting period- it is surprisingly modern and is full of the crime, sex, and scandal that often pull people into studying history. This is more of a pop history rather than an academic work, making it perfect spend some time in another century. Inglis covers London by area of the city, really giving a feeling for how drastically different lifestyles could be in the same city. She has a natural voice and makes the history of Georgian London exciting to read- if you are interested in history or London in general, this is the book for you!

A Book For… A Cozy Afternoon

Mrs Queen Takes the Train

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train, William Kuhn

Mrs. Queen is a quiet but lovely book about Her Majesty’s adventure on a train one day. It is perfect for an afternoon of relaxation, as that is exactly what the Queen is doing! She wants to escape her life of ritual, isolation, and regiment, and strolls out of Buckingham Palace in a hoodie to take a train to Scotland. This QEII is surprisingly modern, including a daily yoga practice! Kuhn is talented at filling in the background and setting to complete the story without overwhelming you with details. Anyone who is interested in the Royal Family, the UK, or even just a quirky story should give this a go- it is the perfect book to curl up with while drinking a cup of tea on a cozy afternoon in.

So, what are your go-to book recommendations? What book do you recommend no matter what?

9 thoughts on “A Book For…

1. Howdoigrownup January 29, 2017 / 8:29 am

I love hyperbole and a half and have read that book at least ten times. The Simple Dog has made me laugh out loud more than maybe any other book. Ever.
    Sadly grad school and teaching keep me away from reading much else, but I appreciate this list and will definitely be picking a few of these up. Fantastic post!

• anhistorianabouttown January 29, 2017 / 9:29 pm

I barely read during my MA 😦 I kept a scant few books around for the two spare minutes I had when I wasn’t studying/writing or exploring Europe haha. I’m hoping we get Solutions and Other Problems!!

• Howdoigrownup January 30, 2017 / 7:05 am

Exactly how I feel! I’m finished in August though so I plan to plow through some reading for pleasure then. 🙂

2. Charlotte Graham January 29, 2017 / 5:23 pm

As I progressively read each of your book reviews here, I kept thinking to myself, “Oh! I shall add this one to my TBR list! …. No, this one! …. No, this one!” And before you know it, all the books you’ve recommended here sound fantastic TBRs. So, thank you!

• anhistorianabouttown January 29, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Aww, thank you!! I would start with Hyperbole- each “chapter/post” is pretty quick, and you definitely don’t need to read all at once. Heads up, I already have a second list going!!

3. Ida Auclond January 29, 2017 / 5:53 pm

Ooooh, thank you for the suggestions! I’ve added them all to my Goodreads want-to-read list. ^_^ The Book of Tomorrow looks especially “my type” of novels, and you’ve answered my quiet longing for a good Georgian era history book.

On another note, I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. Here is the post: . You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to – I know not everyone likes that kind of “chain”. Whether you do or not, I’m glad I had an opportunity to share your blog with others. ^_^ I didn’t know what to call you, so right now you’re “An Historian About Town”, but if you want me to change it, let me know.

4. fattymccupcakes January 30, 2017 / 11:26 pm

I’ve totally added these to my Goodreads. You seem to like the same kind of books, country, and time period that I do! Crazy!!

• anhistorianabouttown February 1, 2017 / 12:01 pm

I miiiiight already have a second list started 😎 Let me know your must-read books- I’m always looking for more!!! I have a problem…

• fattymccupcakes February 1, 2017 / 1:28 pm

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is one of my favs ever. I also LOVED The Twelve Little Cakes by Dominika Dery. I love memoirs and historical fiction, but I also love me some chick lit. Sophie Kinsella is my top fave!