Weekend Coffee Share, 6 January 2017

If we were sharing a cup of tea right now, I would start by saying that I am still tired from flying back from Washington but happy to be back to my regular bed. I already miss M, that’s to be expected, though. Back to work, also! It’s a blessing and a curse to work somewhere that closes for the holidays- you get time off, but everyone is catching up and your inbox is flooded. I’ve been off for nearly two weeks (took a few extra days), so the adjustment period is a little longer than I would like. Still I should think I’ll be back to normal this upcoming week. (For more info on Weekend Coffee Share, visit Part Time Monster here!)

relaxation.png

I was absolutely starving when I got to Calgary, and I knew I had to eat an actual meal- not just a bagel or snacks. Last Christmas I ended up with food poisoning eating Chinese food at the Calgary airport- I know, never get fast food Chinese food!! I’ve learned my lesson. However, there is an A&W here and I felt more confident with it. I eat Mama burgers, which aren’t common (too small for most people) so I knew that they would have to make it fresh! I arrived home in Winnipeg to a windchill of -26°C (-15°F for my American readers), which wasn’t the most pleasant of welcomes that my fair city has ever given but what can you do?

I made off like a bandit at the Tulalip outlets! I’ll be posting them on Style Saturday, but I was able to find quite a few things that I’ve been looking for. I was able to get new Adidas running shoes for THIRTY TWO DOLLARS!!! And they are exactly what I’ve been looking for. A similar pair at home in Winnipeg would be upwards of $100 CAD, and I snagged these for less than $45 CAD. Definitely a motivating factor to get to the gym at lunch with new shoes!

I got a shellac manicure before I left Seattle (classic red) to keep my nails from breaking. However, it has been over two weeks now since I got it done and my nails grow way too fast and it clicks when I type and I want to cut them off. Here’s hoping I have the strength to make it Tuesday when I can get these cut down. I don’t know how people do it with long nails, I really don’t- they get in the way of everything. Now I’m just left wondering- is everyone else just better at coping with longer nails, or do my nails grow absurdly fast? So many questions that can’t really be answered….

Although I love the holiday season, I do appreciate that January really quiets down. I’m looking forward to reading, baking, and staying inside/not getting frostbite. I’m hoping to do some more work on the blog in January and February, so I may be asking for opinions/advice/experiences!

Does anyone else hibernate in January/February? Or do you take the new year as an opportunity to get out there and try new things?

9 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share, 6 January 2017

1. Charlotte Graham January 6, 2017 / 3:47 pm

Welcome back home! You are definitely not alone in the long nail thing. I absolutely loathe my nails being long — that sound on the keyboard is just awful! Glad you snagged such a great deal on shoes!!

• anhistorianabouttown January 6, 2017 / 7:48 pm

Thank you!! I now have to type with a bizarre angle to only use my finger pads… I hope the marathon weekend is starting off right!

• Charlotte Graham January 7, 2017 / 6:42 am

Thank you!! It’s excellent so far. Just relaxing today in preparation for tomorrow!

2. Melbel January 6, 2017 / 6:34 pm

My nails get too long after shellac too. You can buy acetone and take it off yourself. That’s what I do. Or I peel it off lol
    Also I wouldn’t say all Chinese fast food is bad! I eat it all the time and never gotten sick. Don’t think I’ve ever heard to avoid it? Too bad you got sick though not fun. Good find with the shoes!

3. bettylouise31 January 7, 2017 / 12:51 pm

My nails grow out fast and I tend not to take care of them. Seattle is a grrat area to visit. We live there for about 10 years. Have a pleasurable week.

4. Pamela Morse January 7, 2017 / 1:43 pm

I used to go to the manicurist once a week, then twice a month. Now I have not been for years and like my own clean short nails. I was absolutely addicted to the look, on both hands and feet….over it, and have better ways to spend the money. Now I wonder how others do it with the long nails too. Congrats on the running shoe bargain. Thanks for the coffee.

• anhistorianabouttown January 7, 2017 / 1:51 pm

I typically only do it for a big occasion or a special treat (like a birthday) but I think I’m done! It has never happened with shellac before but two nails have broken and three other have chipped 😦 I will save my money! And thank you for stopping by for a chat 🙂

5. amiewrites74 January 8, 2017 / 11:22 pm

Score on the shoe bargain! My nails grow really fast, too. When I am overdue for a trim, I hate the way the nails click on the keyboard keys.

6. thecoffeebeanbrain January 9, 2017 / 4:11 am

I don’t think I’ve ever grown out my nails. It does get in the way of everything. Plus my work needs me to put on gloves (hospital) so I don’t have the option. Hope you have a great week ahead. Stay warm.