Weekend Coffee Share, 6 January 2017

If we were sharing a cup of tea right now, I would start by saying that I am still tired from flying back from Washington but happy to be back to my regular bed. I already miss M, that’s to be expected, though. Back to work, also! It’s a blessing and a curse to work somewhere that closes for the holidays- you get time off, but everyone is catching up and your inbox is flooded. I’ve been off for nearly two weeks (took a few extra days), so the adjustment period is a little longer than I would like. Still I should think I’ll be back to normal this upcoming week. (For more info on Weekend Coffee Share, visit Part Time Monster here!)

relaxation.png

I was absolutely starving when I got to Calgary, and I knew I had to eat an actual meal- not just a bagel or snacks. Last Christmas I ended up with food poisoning eating Chinese food at the Calgary airport- I know, never get fast food Chinese food!! I’ve learned my lesson. However, there is an A&W here and I felt more confident with it. I eat Mama burgers, which aren’t common (too small for most people) so I knew that they would have to make it fresh! I arrived home in Winnipeg to a windchill of -26°C (-15°F for my American readers), which wasn’t the most pleasant of welcomes that my fair city has ever given but what can you do?

I made off like a bandit at the Tulalip outlets! I’ll be posting them on Style Saturday, but I was able to find quite a few things that I’ve been looking for. I was able to get new Adidas running shoes for THIRTY TWO DOLLARS!!! And they are exactly what I’ve been looking for. A similar pair at home in Winnipeg would be upwards of $100 CAD, and I snagged these for less than $45 CAD. Definitely a motivating factor to get to the gym at lunch with new shoes!

I got a shellac manicure before I left Seattle (classic red) to keep my nails from breaking. However, it has been over two weeks now since I got it done and my nails grow way too fast and it clicks when I type and I want to cut them off. Here’s hoping I have the strength to make it Tuesday when I can get these cut down. I don’t know how people do it with long nails, I really don’t- they get in the way of everything. Now I’m just left wondering- is everyone else just better at coping with longer nails, or do my nails grow absurdly fast? So many questions that can’t really be answered….

Although I love the holiday season, I do appreciate that January really quiets down. I’m looking forward to reading, baking, and staying inside/not getting frostbite. I’m hoping to do some more work on the blog in January and February, so I may be asking for opinions/advice/experiences!

Does anyone else hibernate in January/February? Or do you take the new year as an opportunity to get out there and try new things?

8 thoughts on “Weekend Coffee Share, 6 January 2017

1. Charlotte Graham January 6, 2017 / 3:47 pm

Welcome back home! You are definitely not alone in the long nail thing. I absolutely loathe my nails being long — that sound on the keyboard is just awful! Glad you snagged such a great deal on shoes!!

• anhistorianabouttown January 6, 2017 / 7:48 pm

Thank you!! I now have to type with a bizarre angle to only use my finger pads… I hope the marathon weekend is starting off right!

• Charlotte Graham January 7, 2017 / 6:42 am

Thank you!! It’s excellent so far. Just relaxing today in preparation for tomorrow!

2. bettylouise31 January 7, 2017 / 12:51 pm

My nails grow out fast and I tend not to take care of them. Seattle is a grrat area to visit. We live there for about 10 years. Have a pleasurable week.

3. Pamela Morse January 7, 2017 / 1:43 pm

I used to go to the manicurist once a week, then twice a month. Now I have not been for years and like my own clean short nails. I was absolutely addicted to the look, on both hands and feet….over it, and have better ways to spend the money. Now I wonder how others do it with the long nails too. Congrats on the running shoe bargain. Thanks for the coffee.

• anhistorianabouttown January 7, 2017 / 1:51 pm

I typically only do it for a big occasion or a special treat (like a birthday) but I think I’m done! It has never happened with shellac before but two nails have broken and three other have chipped 😦 I will save my money! And thank you for stopping by for a chat 🙂

4. amiewrites74 January 8, 2017 / 11:22 pm

Score on the shoe bargain! My nails grow really fast, too. When I am overdue for a trim, I hate the way the nails click on the keyboard keys.

5. thecoffeebeanbrain January 9, 2017 / 4:11 am

I don’t think I’ve ever grown out my nails. It does get in the way of everything. Plus my work needs me to put on gloves (hospital) so I don’t have the option. Hope you have a great week ahead. Stay warm.