Favourite Places, Fenland Loop (Banff)

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Banff; it was peaceful, relaxing, and a chance to get out into nature again! Banff is bigger than some of the other mountain towns but you are never terribly far from nature when you want it. Because Loki and I mostly relaxed in the hotel room while my dad and brother were skiing, we knew we wanted to take him on a longer hike in the afternoon. It wasn’t raining at all, and was a perfect 14Β°C!

Fenland Loop, Banff,Travel Thursday

We walked Loki the whole way down the main strip so I could grab a quick snack! ( Don’t go to Mary’s Popcorn Shop, it was pretty stale and the regular popcorn tasted like it had been in a white cheddar bin that had sat out. I’m a popcorn fiend, so this was rather disappointing…) Loki did really well on the strip with all of the people! An adorable little girl thought he was a wolf, but a cute one, and was brave enough to pet him. For those of you that don’t know, Loki might look like a wolf but he is one hundred percent baby. Anyways, we made our way down to the Bow River Trail, a nice park to start with! It is right along the river and offers some gorgeous views.

Banff Park 2.jpg

Banff Park 1.jpg

This walkway is paved- very accessible for people of all abilities! It is a good length, there are bear-safe garbage cans, and even poop bags for anyone walking their dog. Banff certainly keeps everything in working order. I felt like a regular Nat-Geo host when we spotted these deer across the river! There were five in total, but I couldn’t get a clear shot of the others on the way there, unfortunately. The one fellow sitting down stayed that way the entire time- I suppose he hit the gym a little too hard the day before…

Banff Park Deer.jpg

Once you follow the Bow River Trail to the end, you spend maybe four to five minutes walking along the highway (still paved and whatnot), and then you arrive at the Fenland Loop Trail. It is not paved, but it is a fairly even and accessible trail! It is a walk rather than a hike, I would say. There weren’t too many people out- I’m guessing because of the earlier rain- leaving the area quiet for us. Loki loved being able to smell everything! I’m pretty sure his goal was to pee on every tree but the tank emptied pretty quick….

Fenland Loop Hike 1.jpg

Fenland Loop Hike 2.jpg

Fenland Loop Hike 3.jpg

Loki should probably just be a model at this point:

Fenland Loop Loki 1 .jpg

We continued on our way! It is always fascinating to me when I can see just how nature progresses when it is left on it’s own. I mean, I love being a city girl, but we all need these reminders sometimes.

wp-1465078120201.jpg

At the far end of the loop, we poked out to see what was just around the riverbend. (Not a badass raccoon and hummingbird, if that’s what you are wondering…) I was rather surprised to pop and be greeted by this sight:

Fenland Loop Mountain View.jpg

Coming from the Prairies, it always surprises me a little to see mountains- even if I know I’m in the heart of them! And of course, Loki was like, “I’m adorable!”

wp-1465078064338.jpg

Seriously, I can’t get over how beautiful it was! Even this walk alone made the trip worth it. Oh, yeah- remember how I said I couldn’t get a good picture of the deer on the way there?Β GOT IT ON THE WAY BACK! I only got four out of the five, but they aren’t Pokemon- I didn’t need to catch them all. How odd it must be to them- one side of the river? Peaceful and theirs. The other side of the river? Weird, two-legged animals everywhere.

wp-1465078700692.jpg

We were up and close with another deer when we got back onto the Bow River Trail- he was like, “This is my deer butt. Enjoy!”

wp-1465078724834.jpg

I probably could have ended this more gracefully than a deer butt, but that’s not how it went…

Do you prefer hikes or walks? Do you like to drive and get away completely, or still have a sense of where you are?

19 thoughts on “Favourite Places, Fenland Loop (Banff)

1. coffee&twigs June 11, 2016 / 2:12 pm

So, so beautiful! And you’re right, that dog could be on a postcard πŸ˜‰

2. hotmessmemoir July 1, 2017 / 8:19 am

OMG, the deer butt was the icing on the cake! That is such an adorable name for your dog and I must say, those pictures are worth framing! So pretty! I sometimes wish I was a nature girl….then I’m like “naw…..”

• anhistorianabouttown July 1, 2017 / 2:25 pm

I don’t mind this trail- there is a wheel chair accessible inner path and it’s fairly level/walked over. I do struggle with some hikes, though! Being from the prairies can make it difficult to deal with altitude 🀣

• hotmessmemoir July 1, 2017 / 3:18 pm

OMG, this is going to sound so lazy but wouldn’t it be nice if you could take golf carts on these hikes? I would totally do that to avoid any and all snakes. Horrible phobia.

3. angelanoelauthor July 1, 2017 / 8:37 am

I love both hiking and walking. We’ll be going on a hike/walk today to a doggie swim park in our town to give our Golden Retriever his fill of his favorite summertime activity. It’s so fun to watch him enjoy himself. So my husband and I get to enjoy a little “urban nature” and the dog gets a little exercise. Your Loki looks like the sweetest boy! He should be a model. πŸ™‚

• anhistorianabouttown July 1, 2017 / 2:27 pm

I always think he should be but I’m biased!! 🀣 Does he like playing with other dogs in the water or swimming on his own? Loki seems to prefer playing to just swimming!

• angelanoelauthor July 1, 2017 / 2:55 pm

Yes! He stands in the water until we throw him a stick. And then he loses the stick and whines about it. We got home just now and gave him a proper bath and he was too tired to protest!

4. Ritu July 1, 2017 / 8:41 am

Looks absolutely amazing!!!

5. globalhousesitterX2 July 1, 2017 / 9:08 am

Your photos have done an excellent job to capture this beautiful place. My cousin and her husband visited late last year and loved it!

6. Thewanderingdarlings July 1, 2017 / 10:02 am

Oh wow this looks amazing. Bet you totally feel at one with nature out there!! Loki is lush!!!

• anhistorianabouttown July 1, 2017 / 2:30 pm

Thank you!! 😊😊 Canada often gets left off of travel lists but I think we are pretty spectacular sometimes 😊

7. fattymccupcakes July 1, 2017 / 1:48 pm

Gorgeous photos! Is that your brother in one of them? Also, I LOVE that your dog is named Loki!! ❀️

8. Jennifer July 1, 2017 / 2:25 pm

But, dear. You ended quite brilliantly. Loved the photos and your dog is gorgeous!