It’s going to be a tough week to stay active

Unfortunately today I will be having my first root canal 😦 I’m a little nervous about the whole thing, especially as the nerve is still alive (what if that means it hurts MORE???) but fingers crossed it all goes well. I won’t get my temporary crown until late next week, and the dentist explained that it leaves your tooth rather brittle and weak. I’m a grinder, so I’m concerned that I might grind on the exposed tooth, or that I might bang it when running/exercising. I hope I remember to ask that today!

Thus far, I have been doing slightly better with doing yoga! It’s back to the way it was at the beginning- if I can only fit in 10-15 minutes, that is what I do. I get disappointed in myself. Why can’t I schedule my time or find the motivation for more? I try to focus on the fact that I am getting it in, though, and that I am moving and stretching! I also have been trying to fit in a few sun salutations while I am waiting for my water to boil and tea to steep in the morning before work. Upward facing dog really helps loosen up my hips from running, and actually makes quite a difference.

How am I going to fit in my exercise while I am waiting for my crown? I think I will stick to mostly yoga! There is an area in my gym where you can use mats for stretching or whatever you like. At most, I may walk on the track, but it might prove difficult to stop myself from running. I am going to try and focus on flow yoga at home. I am already trying to focus on loosening up my mouth and face during my practice. Any tips for me??

I am also going to start really working on my turnout and flexibility for ballet. I will be starting at the beginning again, and those first exercises are not overly jarring. Back to pliés and tendus, frog sits and good toes/bad toes! It is surprising just how hard it is to work on turnout when your glutes are sore from running. Cross-training is the next step, for sure!! Kathryn Morgan addresses running and ballet in this video here (at 00:28):

I do stretch before and after running, but I will be amping it up! I also run on an elliptical- there is little impact on my shins, legs, and hips.

If you have any recommendations for cross-training, please comment below!!

9 thoughts on “It’s going to be a tough week to stay active

1. dasilvax April 25, 2016 / 2:05 am

I’ve had Root Canal before and it really is not as bad as people say it is! It will be sore a couple hours after the procedure has been done but you will be okay 🙂 Good Luck x

• anhistorianabouttown April 25, 2016 / 6:11 am

:s I am going to try and remember this when I have my continual freak out today!! I’m worried I will still grind my teeth in the week and a half I wait for my crown and will damage the tooth then 😥

• dasilvax April 25, 2016 / 6:16 am

Don’t freak out! It’s going to be fine☺️ they will put a temporary dressing on the tooth while you are waiting for a crown

2. daleydowning April 26, 2016 / 7:41 am

Good luck with everything! I had a root canal a few weeks ago, and in the end it wasn’t as terrible as I feared! As a dancer myself, I really push for people to dance as exercise and for toning. Stop passion moment. 🙂 Good luck with everything!

• anhistorianabouttown April 26, 2016 / 6:40 pm

Dance is really the perfect form of exercise for me, and I’m looking forward to getting back into it!! And I am hoping that my recovery continues quickly, thank you 🙂

3. careofmon April 26, 2016 / 9:50 am

I had my first root canal in December and it really wasn’t that bad!! I am a huge baby about dental work because I hate the novacaine, but it really was ok, recovery was fast and temp tooth was fine- still ran and hiked and wiped out over roots and what have you up until I got the crown haha. Good luck friend!

• anhistorianabouttown April 26, 2016 / 6:40 pm

My jaw is still a bit sore/tender, but I might give running a shot tomorrow! I’m not going to lie, I’m more scared of the crown- I HATE having my teeth ground/sanded. #toothbaby

4. mt077 May 3, 2016 / 9:11 pm

I too find myself using the old people equipment at the local gym.