Favourite Place, Westminster

Westminster, in central London on the North Bank of the Thames, is one of the most impressive places in London- at least in my opinion. The Palace of Westminster (aka Parliament), Westminster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace are all infamous and are at the top of everyone’s to-see list for a reason!

The Palace of Westminster is the home of the House of Commons and the House of Lords! I was lucky enough to do a tour with my cousin on one of my trips to London in 2013, and I have to say, I was surprised that the chambers were the same size as the Canadian chambers. Still, the incredible detail throughout is amazing, and it is a must-see.

wp-1460211944981.jpgwp-1460212030853.jpg

And of course, Big Ben! It’s like the Eiffel Tower in Paris- you didn’t go to London if you don’t have a picture with Big Ben.

What would Westminster be without Westminster Abbey? Every single step you take in the Abbey is a new piece of history (historian fangirling over here), and I will definitely be going back again in the future to see the Henry VII Chapel. It was closed for restoration work when I was there, but I must see it!

wp-1460296296107.jpgwp-1460296421813.jpg

Westminster is one of the most distinctive and striking areas of London for me, and I never regret stopping by!

9 thoughts on “Favourite Place, Westminster

1. Alex April 14, 2016 / 5:04 am

It is an amazing building. We went on the tour last week, and totally loved it. Also – looks like you’ve had some proper London weather during your trips…

• anhistorianabouttown April 15, 2016 / 7:51 am

I certainly have run the gamut with London weather- snow to rain to beating heat! Makes it easy to tell which trip was which in the photos, haha! It amazes me the level of detail in these structures, and then everything that happens inside?? London has everything!

2. Camela April 14, 2016 / 6:17 am

I love Westminister! So rich with culture and history! London feels like a second home 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown April 15, 2016 / 7:53 am

There is something for everyone, and I think that everyone should go to London at least once in their lifetime!!

3. cultivatingtime April 17, 2016 / 4:25 am

Amazing buildings. There is so much to see in London. I lived there for a year and we never ran out of places to visit.

• cultivatingtime April 23, 2016 / 4:45 am

It’s a bit too busy and built up for me but there is loads of interesing stuff.

• anhistorianabouttown April 23, 2016 / 10:17 pm

That is fair- I know some people find it entirely too busy! The history and beauty outweighs the negatives for me, but I can understand that that isn’t true for everyone