Favourite Spot: Harry Potter Studio Tour

I’ve decided to do Throwback Thursday to my favourite spots throughout my travels! First up is the Harry Potter Studio Tour, in Leavesden. I visited in March of 2013; I was living in Dublin, and I met up in London with one of my best friends living in Berlin to go to the tour. For two Harry Potter dorks, it was pretty much a dream come true! There were so many nostalgia moments that it took us several hours to wander through.

Harry Potter Studio Tour

wp-1458435107430.jpg

You begin in the Great Hall, and along the sides are some of the ghosts from the series. Obviously as a Ravenclaw, I had to spot the Grey Lady! I particularly loved seeing the ghost costuming- because they are so faint in the movie, it was lovely to see all of the details!

wp-1458435586514.jpg

How is Ravenclaw in last place?? According to our tour guide, the set decorators cleared out the entire area of crafting beads to fill the house point counters!

wp-1458435503933.jpg

The famous, stunning clock!!

wp-1458435654608.jpg

The Chamber of Secrets is my least favourite book and movie (I hate spiders, okay?), but it was still very cool to see the door to the Chamber! The detail on the snakes is amazing.

wp-1458435708412.jpg

Dolores Umbridge- A truly awful witch who is personified in this sickly sweet, pink office. I totally understand that in the series it was made by magic, but on set, someone most likely had pepto-bismol hands for months after painting this….

wp-1458435782920.jpg

This is one bus stop I would love to wait at!

wp-1458435830786.jpg

These chess pieces were terrifying- to see these huge and imposing statues made of stone, it really made the trio’s bravery in the first film even more apparent.

wp-1458435969538.jpg

I walked around the corner, and this mermaid head gave me a near-heart attack….

wp-1458437004402.jpg

Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes was the perfect way to end the tour! I was a little sad that we weren’t actually able to go into any of the shops in Diagon Alley, but there was so much movement in the windows (and coming out) that it looked very exciting.

Have you been to the Harry Potter Studio Tour? If you have, what was your favourite part?

24 thoughts on “Favourite Spot: Harry Potter Studio Tour

1. Hammad Rais March 24, 2016 / 1:48 am

Such a great tour this is. Really enjoyed it, although I do admit that I’m not a big fan of Harry Potter 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown March 24, 2016 / 6:51 pm

I can see it being a bit long if you aren’t a Potterhead! I’m impressed that you slogged through it 🙂

• Hammad Rais March 25, 2016 / 2:57 am

A museum trip is more easy for me here 🙂

2. Awara Yunus March 24, 2016 / 1:59 am

It’s a dream to go there 🙂
    Someone told me that we need to book tickets 1-2 months in advance. Is it true?

• anhistorianabouttown March 24, 2016 / 6:49 pm

Great question! I booked about a month ahead, and a few random tours were sold out- I would recommend a month ahead. If you wait, you may only have tours available that don’t suit your schedule! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

3. cultivatingtime March 24, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Brilliant photos. I really want to do this tour. It looks so fun.

• anhistorianabouttown March 24, 2016 / 6:51 pm

Thank you! I can’t recommend it enough- yes, it is expensive. However, it is amazing to see everything, and you can really wander for HOURS 🙂

4. ldr13 March 26, 2016 / 2:50 am

I went three years ago at christmas time it was lovely to see the great hall decked out in its christmas decor. I love that they put different things out at different times so you can go again and see new things.

The chess pieces weren’t on display when I went they look really neat 🙂

Also I hear there’s a hogwarts train now so I’d love to see that. It is expensive but I agree – totally worth the price for any potter fan

5. SickChristine June 17, 2017 / 7:34 am

What a treat! I got a little tear in my eye when I saw Snape’s costume. Looks amazing.

• anhistorianabouttown June 21, 2017 / 6:47 pm

It’s pretty special! I was a little choked up when I got to Dumbledore’s office 😊

6. Debbie H June 17, 2017 / 7:41 am

This looks like a lot of fun. I haven’t been on a Harry Potter tour but my daughters have ans they lives it all. Great!!

• anhistorianabouttown June 21, 2017 / 6:46 pm

I still have to see Green Gables in PEI but I think that this will remain my favourite literary/film experience!!

7. Ruth Daly June 17, 2017 / 10:39 am

Really enjoyed your post and pictures. I went at Christmas a couple of years ago – amazing experience! There was so much to see I would definitely go again.

8. josypheen June 17, 2017 / 3:57 pm

My sister took her kids there but she wasn’t too impressed (I think she thought it’d be more interactive, rather than like a museum)

It looks like a pretty fun place to explore though.

Were the tickets pricy?

• anhistorianabouttown June 21, 2017 / 6:52 pm

Ohhhhh, they sure are haha. At the time I paid roughly £40 (in 2013) and I’m sure it’s closer to £50 now! As an adult paying for myself, I was cool with it (I don’t know that I will go again) but it’s a very expensive outing. While I loved it, I did expect a little more interaction!

• josypheen June 21, 2017 / 8:25 pm

Yeah, it’s not so bad as an adult! My sister took three kids, and they all ended up buying some HP merchandise (like £30 wands!)

I think it might have been the priciest day of her holidays!!

To be fair my nephews and niece seemed to LOVE it.

9. Thewanderingdarlings June 17, 2017 / 4:53 pm

It’s soooo good isn’t it!! Love this place and this has just inspired me to look at going again

• anhistorianabouttown June 21, 2017 / 6:45 pm

I want to go again now- I think that I would notice so many other things!! Even looking through pictures I am seeing things I didn’t see when I was there!