Hopefully I Look Like I Know What I Am Doing

I read many, many blogs- mostly through the WordPress Reader and BlogLovin’ to eliminate hunting around for updates. Many look at style/clothing/fashion, but unfortunately most are either students or people who blog for a living. While neither of these are bad things, it is not helpful when you work in an office and are trying to figure out what to wear. Not every office is the same, but I have some general guidelines:

1. Men should *NEVER* wear shorts at work if you work in an office. You have numerous options for pant material, you will find something that isn’t too hot/cold. It looks unprofessional.
  2. If women are going to wear shorts, they should be city shorts and hit just above or at the knee. Check your dresscode, a lot of offices do not allow shorts for either gender.
  3. Fingertip rule- Don’t wear a skirt or dress (or shorts) that are shorter than your fingertips. I don’t care if you are a student working in the office, it is not appropriate, and when you inevitably need to clear the paper jam on the bottom tray of the photocopier, you will have TROUBLE.
  4. No logo t-shirts.

This next section will be for women; sorry guys, I haven’t planned a male work wardrobe. What do I wear to work?

1. Blazers- I used to get mine at Smart Set but will need to find a new store. Blazers are a nice alternative to a suit, especially for twenty somethings. There are a lot of women who look fantastic in a suit, but I feel like that comes slightly later in life. I like wearing a blazer with pants, or a sheath dress; you can create a lot of looks with a blazer! I have this 3/4 sleeve satine blazer in red and black- nice to have options! I find that black is obvious, but the red is a great pop with a neutral.                                                      VeroModa

2. Dresses- I have dresses in a wide variety of colours, materials, and shapes! Chiffon, cotton, wool, satine; a-line, sheath, flared, skater; navy, teal, red, black, nude, patterned. It might be pure laziness but a dress and a cardigan = a fast outfit! I have about 8 cardigans and I immediately know which cardigan goes with which dress.

Mela-Cream-Floral-Print-Skater-Dress  smartset_728193_7_0

3. Dress Pants- Find the right dress pants for YOU. I prefer straight or skinny leg, but you also have the boot-cut/wide-leg/flared options. The beauty of 2015 is that it seems that any and all pant shapes are in style! See my Style Saturday post with my favourite dress pants.

4. You- Make sure you have clothes that represent YOU! You don’t want people to remember you as the person who only wears black or tan or navy. Life isn’t neutral, your clothes shouldn’t all be either! I love having baroque and damask patterns, so these blouses from Smart Set were perfect:

I also love plaids, be it in a skirt, blouse, or dress!

wpid-20150827_133145.jpg

Even my wolf print henley that I have come to completely love in about two weeks:

I would thoroughly recommend visiting Charlene Chic‘s blog, it is a goldmine for how young professionals should dress!!

Do you have any steadfast rules for dressing for the office? Any tips or advice for young professionals?

10 thoughts on “Hopefully I Look Like I Know What I Am Doing

1. chef mimi September 2, 2015 / 9:10 am

And please no sleeveless shirts at all! Even for women! Am I old-fashioned?

• anhistorianabouttown September 2, 2015 / 9:16 am

I’m okay with sleeveless shirts for women as long as there are no undergarments visible, and they are still a blouse! Random tank top?? NOT appropriate for work!

2. zoya September 2, 2015 / 11:27 pm

Plaid is gorgeous! Yup I definitely need to invest in some colourful blazers. Great tips with your recommendations 🙂

• anhistorianabouttown September 3, 2015 / 7:50 am

I find I am really bad for buying mostly neutral clothes- blazers are the easiest way for me to add colour! Thanks for the visit 🙂

3. zoya September 2, 2015 / 11:28 pm

By the way the link to Charlene Chic does not work..

4. Anon September 3, 2015 / 9:04 am

I don’t think it’s correct to generalize that all offices have a business casual dress code. There are many offices that allow their employees to dress casually, especially those that do not deal directly with clients.

• anhistorianabouttown September 3, 2015 / 9:59 am

That is why I had said that not every office is the same! If you do not deal with the public, I don’t see a problem with dressing casually! I work in a place where everyone is expected to be ready to face the public; that being said, if you don’t and want to be casual, more power to you 🙂

5. Katelynne September 3, 2015 / 10:23 am

I think these tips are a great starting point for anyone making the transition from student to someone working in an office (I’m sure there’s a better way to put that but I don’t know it right now haha)! I’m glad you make the recommendation to check with your office first, as not every office is the same. At my job, for example, I can’t wear shorts (that I know of at least). And I get the occasional casual Friday, which is a completely different beast! But blazers and cardigans have been life savers for me! They definitely help me look professional without making me look like a little girl playing dress up.

• anhistorianabouttown September 3, 2015 / 10:28 am

Exactly! Shorts are our on our “no” list, as well. I’m not opposed to casual Friday at all, but I know a lot of offices don’t allow casual everyday. I think you can do casual without a hoodie for example- instead of a hoddie, a blazer will look more together but can be just as casual! Its all about finding what works for you and your situation 🙂