I have long had problems making decisions when it comes to souvenirs. What makes a good souvenir? How much should I spend? Is it too commonplace? If I could, I would buy every souvenir. You think I’m exaggerating, buuuut I’m not. (Never look at my receipts from any palace, thank you very much.) I have come up with a few questions to help figure out if it’s actually worth it.
1. Will I use this again? I have several Starbucks mugs and tumblrs from all of the places I have visited- why? Because I can use them! I take tea to work every day, and I make tea every day at home. I am getting use out of my souvenirs!
2. How much does it cost?
With few exceptions, I try to keep all souvenirs under $15 Canadian. I’m already taking pictures, I probably have some sort of ticket-type deal (which I keep), so there isn’t a huge need to spend a ton of money on a souvenir.
3. Does it actually represent where I went? Buying a plain mug from Buckingham Palace is kind of pointless, I could buy that at IKEA. I like something to actually show that it is from somewhere!
What do I like to buy?
1. Tote bags- I use these every day. I use them to take things to work, go grocery shopping, just generally cart stuff around. They are typically under $10 CAD and are pretty easy to find. The Historic Royal Palace bags are particularly nice, and typically only £2.
2. Keychains- I have many keys to carry, and they need keychains! They are a good price (aside from keychains from West End musicals. Those are a doozy.), and don’t take up a lot of weight/space in your suitcase!
3. The aforementioned Starbucks mugs- the city series is fantastic, and they are fairly easy to find!
My goal is to find some slightly different souvenirs (but I will undoubtedly still get some totes and keychains) on this next trip.
What souvenirs do you collect? What is your favourite souvenir?